TV Reception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Reception

Have the standard Winegard antena on the roof but over air reception isn't very good for a local channel that I like for news.
    Started searching online for other powered antenna options and quickly had more questions than solutions.
    Guessing this topic has been covered on here but wasn't finding a good thread on it - suggestions welcomed?
    Is the Winegard as good as I'm going to get and it's the station that has the issue?
    Are there better options than the Winegard?
    Have considered sattelite systems a few times, however, I'm not the most tech-savvy person which leads to more questions.
    Appreciate any suggestions!
    Chris
    Chris
    2019 Solitude 3740BH
    2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Originally posted by TheNescios View Post
    Have the standard Winegard antena on the roof but over air reception isn't very good for a local channel that I like for news.
    Started searching online for other powered antenna options and quickly had more questions than solutions.
    Guessing this topic has been covered on here but wasn't finding a good thread on it - suggestions welcomed?
    Is the Winegard as good as I'm going to get and it's the station that has the issue?
    Are there better options than the Winegard?
    Have considered sattelite systems a few times, however, I'm not the most tech-savvy person which leads to more questions.
    Appreciate any suggestions!
    Chris
    I think Rob ( Cate&Rob ) has done the most independent testing of a directional vs omnidirectional (which is what the Winegard is) antenna. Rob found the directional was superior for his application.

Yep--just found the thread. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ion-in-315rlts

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

An omnidirectional antenna is just not a a good choice if that is what you have.

Are you at a fixed location or traveling?
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

TheNescios Our Solitude is the first rv we've owned with an omnidirectional antenna. As we often stay in the same parks over and over, I can directly compare to our last RV, which had the same TV, but a directional King Jack antenna (with signal meter). (That was an excellent antenna). I have noticed that this Winegard omnidirectional unit (looks like a fancy restaurant plate cover/dome) does miss a few stations that I used to easily receive with the Jack. While easier to use (just turn on the booster--you did that, right?), it seems a little less sensitive. But at home in my driveway, which is about 60 miles across California's great Central Valley to the transmission towers, I receive lots of channels, even obscure ones. Seemingly more than when we occasionally stay in town, about 25 miles closer to the towers. This also happens to us in the Sacramento area, where we receive fewer stations "close in" to the big city. I'm thinking that it attenuates the signal slightly in "congested" airspace, but that is just a guess. When we first got the trailer, I put the antenna on my list of things to replace/upgrade, but have since removed it (from the list). We also installed a Dish network Traveller automatic satellite antenna, so don't use the Winegard quite as much. I think the attraction of the current Winegard is that it is upgradeable to do something with WIFI; we just use our cell phones as hotspots when needed.

If I was to replace it, I would definitely go with the King Jack (just make sure it has the signal strength indicator on the interior panel--some don't). They are available in black or white.

Dave
        Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
        2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
        2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
        2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
        Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

...also, it is a good idea to occasionally check the coax is snug to the connection, hand tight, or just a smidge more with a tiny wrench. They have a propensity to loosen over time, both at the TV, and the wall jack. I also owned a motorhome once that had the coax barely hanging on at the back of the wall jack.
          Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
          2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
          2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
          2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
          Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Chris, At home I have found a secondary omni directional antennae immensely more effective. An omni directional antennae that you can get 5 feet above the roof line will be a tremendous benefit as will a WiFi antennae on the same mast.
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

This is all good information! Got buried at work but today am going to check the connections again and then look for an auxillary antenna. Have one favorite station at my "home base" that will fade in & out and this seems to be the easy solution.Traveling I don't know what I'm missing so it's not much of an issue!
              Chris
              Chris
              2019 Solitude 3740BH
              2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

I have worked on my TV reception till I was blue in the face. I can move the camper 10 feet and get station, then loose them with the next move. I also have found all my coax connections were loose. I spoke with Wingaurd trying to see what I was doing wrong. The thing that erotates me is that it seems on my 376TH that the TV and Radio cable are the same. Wingfaurd shows a separate hook up at the antenna has a separate FM antenna. My radios and TV are spliced together with splitters, I think this may kill part of my reception.
                "No place to go, No hurry to get there"
                2019 GD Momentum 376 TH
                2015 Dodge 3500 Cummins
                2015 HD Ultra Classic Limited

Comment

Looking at the Air documentation for the 360+ (B/C I'm about to replace mine due to damage) and there is an adapter that goes on the downstream side of the booster for the FM antenna, they even supply the adapter.

Air 360+ Installation Manual (Version 2 - AR2-V2S)
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                  X