Inverter GFCI Tripping on Generator Shut Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter GFCI Tripping on Generator Shut Off

Hi all. As the subject says, the GFCI on my 1000 watt inverter trips when I turn my generator off. I'm not running anything on the generator that won't run on DC when I shut if off, so it shouldn't technically be trying to cutover to a load it can't support. I'm not an electrician, and I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

- Jeff
    Jeff
    2021 Momentum 30G
    2021 RAM 2500 6.7L Diesel HD

We’d need specifics on your generator and whether you have a transfer switch. Is this the built-in stuff or add-ones? As far as I know, all portable generators tell to disconnect the load before shutting them down to avoid spikes.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

If you are using the generator to charge the battery then the charger/converter is on. When you power down the generator the inverter wants to power the charger/converter to charge the battery. Maybe this is the issue? Try turning off the breaker for the converter/charger before you turn off the generator.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Well that's lame of me. I posted a question, got answers the same day, and didn't reply. I didn't see a notification in my email but that account is pretty much spam central now. So... thank you.

The generator is the Onan that came with the rig. Same with the transfer switch as well as the charge controller and inverter. I'm not sure I have control over whether the generator charges the battery, but I assume it is charging while it's running. I've been "docked" at an RV park in Mesa for a couple months while taking care of some things at home. If they don't have any problems with me testing the generator, I'll try the suggestion for turning off the breaker. At least it's inside and accessible. Thanks again.
        Jeff
        2021 Momentum 30G
        2021 RAM 2500 6.7L Diesel HD

Comment

Working...
        X