303RLS LED Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 303RLS LED Upgrade

Ever since we bought our rig, I’ve wanted to switch to LED lights, but it has always been an expensive proposition.

I’ve finally convinced my wife to do some parking lot overnighting, and battery use has stepped to the forefront. I did some math and found the ubiquitous 921s in our rig are somewhere between 13-18W each. There are 10 of them on the ceiling in the main area, two over the hutch, one over the stove, two over the recliners, one in the pantry, four in the bathroom, six in the bedroom, two over the stairs two in the front compartment and four in the basement. Maybe more I’m not remembering.

Overall, those lights use 442W-612W drawing close to 50A in the unrealistic scenario of having them all on. I felt like these bulbs might be low hanging fruit for power saving and set out to see my options. I found an old post recommending these https://www.amazon.com/GRV-13-5050-B...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== and I was happy to see they were about $1.75 each and used only 1.2W each for a ten fold power reduction or possibly more.

They are just a bit whiter than the incandescent bulbs, but not objectionably so. These fixtures are generally for when you want to see, not for the ambiance.

Well worth the money IMO for those of you with pre-LED rigs.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

You may want to look at bulb orientation and check to see if the flat ones might be a better output: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V8GTGHX...jaz10cnVl&th=1

They are a bit more power hungry at almost 4W each.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
      You may want to look at bulb orientation and check to see if the flat ones might be a better output: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V8GTGHX...jaz10cnVl&th=1

They are a bit more power hungry at almost 4W each.
      I did look at those and spent some time thinking about them. Needing 30+ bulbs, I ordered 10 as a test for that very reason. These are slightly brighter than the incandescents via light meter app on my phone aimed at a sheet of white paper on the counter. The fixtures all have reflectors and diffusers, so the lighting is fairly uniform with these. Since the lens is clear right under the bulb, I was a bit concerned the flat ones would give a spotlight effect and might shine in my eyes while I’m enjoying the recliner and Kathy is sewing or crafting.
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I did the change out on my first TT (2014 model) to a lot of LED's. I found the round ones did OK, but it seemed they could have been better.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Hi John,

We likely have the same light fixtures as you do. A switch on each ceiling light? We changed to LEDs several years ago. Bright white in the ceiling lights (since these are only on as “work” lights) and warm white for all the area lights we use in the evenings. We had to search a bit for the pendant lights over the island. Found combination lights with a bright array facing down and warm LEDs lighting the globes. All these bulbs are not a good fit to the sockets and sometimes shake loose during travel. But, all are still working, many years later.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Hi John,

We likely have the same light fixtures as you do. A switch on each ceiling light? We changed to LEDs several years ago. Bright white in the ceiling lights (since these are only on as “work” lights) and warm white for all the area lights we use in the evenings. We had to search a bit for the pendant lights over the island. Found combination lights with a bright array facing down and warm LEDs lighting the globes. All these bulbs are not a good fit to the sockets and sometimes shake loose during travel. But, all are still working, many years later.

Rob
            Yep, that’s our fixture. If you happen to come across a part number for the pendant light replacement, I’d appreciate it.

John & Kathy
            2014 Reflection 303RLS
            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post

Yep, that’s our fixture. If you happen to come across a part number for the pendant light replacement, I’d appreciate it.
              Never mind. Found a post of yours with the info.
              John & Kathy
              2014 Reflection 303RLS
              2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Working...
              X