Winegard GW 1000 no longer connects to hotspot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winegard GW 1000 no longer connects to hotspot

This worked perfectly last summer. I was able to use my iPhone’s hotspot many times.
    When I first attempted to connect this year, it sees the hotspot and tries to connect but cannot.
    I have been on tech support phone calls with Winegard on 3 different occasions. They walk me through the process including a total reset and reconfiguration of the gateway using their 10.11.12.1 home page. It will connect to available wifi networks. I am trying to avoid using their data packages, they cost $80 for 10 Gb every 30 days. Expensive and inadequate, I already pay for an unlimited plan on my phone.
    Used the email tech support a couple times as well. I had asked for a replacement gateway. Their response is “If it connects to a wifi network, it is not a hardware issue “. So, I guess that leaves it as a software issue that they can’t fix???
    Or, have they disabled that function to connect to your phone’s hotspot to sell their useless SIM card data plan?
    I have used my cellular carrier’s tech support to try and solve this, they could not get it to work. My other devices are able to connect to my hotspot.

Frustrated in Canada!
    Peter
    2022 Reflection 337 RLS
    2021 GMC 2500 Duramax

Sparky -- only suggestion I have is try to connect wiFi to a different phone (Android) to try and isolate if it's a Winegard or Apple issue.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      Sparky -- only suggestion I have is try to connect wiFi to a different phone (Android) to try and isolate if it's a Winegard or Apple issue.
      Good suggestion! I will try that as soon as I find a friend with an android phone.
      Peter
      2022 Reflection 337 RLS
      2021 GMC 2500 Duramax

Comment

Have you tried using a laptop to connect to the gateway first, then configure the gateway to connect to the phone?
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          Have you tried using a laptop to connect to the gateway first, then configure the gateway to connect to the phone?
          I am using my iPad to connect to the gateway. That’s the other strange thing, while talking to tech support, they said this was the only way to connect, you must use a separate device than your hotspot phone. The Winegard connecT page 10.11.12.1
          But last camping season, I am positive I used only my phone and the Winegard app.
          Peter
          2022 Reflection 337 RLS
          2021 GMC 2500 Duramax

Comment

Working...
          X