12v GE fridge power usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v GE fridge power usage

I posted once before about my 12v GE fridge being power hungry.

Now that I have a shunt installed I have some non-scientific numbers to share after 5 days dry camping.

Outside temps were highs of 90 and lows of 65. Most of the time the amps being used was 6.5, with nothing else on. Sometimes a low of 5.5, but that was infrequent. I didn't check in the middle of the night.

Using 6 as a conservative average gives you about 144amps per day.

In case you are doing the mental math in your head, that's right, you'll need 2 more of those group 24 batteries your dealer installed just to get through the entire day.

Hope this helps someone with their power planning. As usual, your milage may vary.
    2022 Ford F250 XLT FX4
    2022 Imagine 2670MK

Originally posted by Lhinaz71 View Post
    In case you are doing the mental math in your head, that's right, you'll need 2 more of those group 24 batteries your dealer installed just to get through the entire day.
    Of course the scenario in your post doesn't consider the lights, fans, water pump, or any of the other 12v systems in the trailer that have to have power, too.

I met an Imagine owner in Montana that has 6 (six!) 270aH "Game Changer" Battle Borns and 1200W of solar on the roof. All the other equipment (inverter, solar controller, etc) were Victron. He has no problem boondocking. (I was amazed at the setup.)

If boondocking is your thing, consider switching to a LifePO4 battery setup. Half the weight and they can (safely) discharge much lower than a standard wet-cell. Recharges much faster, too, with the right converter (or inverter/charger like the Victron Multiplus). High up-front cost, but over time given the performance they are worth every penny IMHO.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

During all readings, the lights, fans, etc. were off. The water pump was on in some instances, but not actively pumping during any of the readings. The only thing that was active is my TST tire pressure repeater. But, that's like 5 milliamps. Also, the audio system was off, but does have a small power led. And, of course there will be some other parasitic draw.

I just installed one 206aH lifepo4, really, just to keep the fridge running through the night. This was my first trip since to see how it would work out. I now need to install more solar to keep the battery charged without having to run the generator.

I don't know that I'll ever need six 270aH batteries. I'm sure that was nice setup. But a second 206aH might be in my future.
      2022 Ford F250 XLT FX4
      2022 Imagine 2670MK

Comment

I might have misunderstood your point about lights, fans, pumps needing power too. You're right, consider total usage of all appliances when determining your power needs.
        2022 Ford F250 XLT FX4
        2022 Imagine 2670MK

Comment

Working...
        X