Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Monitor Not Working

Hello,
    New member here and owner of a 2018 Momentum 351. Looking for help with why my tank monitor stopped functioning. All holding tanks read zero even though there is content in each one? I checked the fuse and it looked fine, but replaced it anyway to no avail. Can anyone shed some light on troubleshooting ideas? Thanks, Kevin​

It could be a loose wire on the back of the panel. Is there anything else that does not work, ceiling lights, awning?

These sensor are known not to be accurate in giving proper readings, there are some here that have great success with them though.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Everything else is functioning fine. After your reply, I went out and removed the panel. It's quite a jumble of wiring and didn't identify anything that looked like it might be the culprit. Looked at the panel while trying to inspect and jiggle the various wires but no change before, during or after. The thing is, I just had this unit in for service and had them do a multi-point inspection which includes an electrical system check, just not sure if this would be included in that check?

Does anyone know if the tank monitor would be included in a General RV multipoint inspection?

I'd sure hate to have to bring this back the 40 mile trek to have them check it?

Thanks - your suggestion is appreciated as is all who might reply

Comment

When you say “read zero” I assume that you at least get a light for that. Does your fresh water tank level sensor work as expected? It will be the most reliable gauge. I would get to a place where it’s easily to dump and use a hose with a flow meter and fill em up and watch the gauges. These gauges are not that reliable. But you should get some lights on some of them sometime. CHeap flow meter here:

P3 P0550 Water Meter
        https://www.amazon.com/Save-a-Drop-P...%2C128&sr=8-3#

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_E View Post
          The thing is, I just had this unit in for service and had them do a multi-point inspection which includes an electrical system check, just not sure if this would be included in that check
          Brian and FlyStar are thinking the same as I am--there's a common failure point if all the gauge lights don't indicate some quantity of fluid. I'll also repeat the question about the single light--when a tank is selected does the first light come on (indicating the tank is empty)? Each tank, selected sequentially, results in the same single light being lit?

If that's the symptom, my guess is the point of failure is where the -12vDC returns, or "grounds", are tied together. Sorry, I'm not exactly sure where that is in this system. Unfortunately that means tracing wires back from the panel (or forward from a tank).

I don't know, but doubt, checking this system would be on an inspection checklist.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I agree with Howard. Most likely the problem is the common "ground" on the sensors. IIRC the system is setup such that zero (empty) should always illuminate.

Dumb question, but do the other lights work when say you check battery capacity?

And I would not be surprised if the tech pencil whipped the form only hitting the big ticket items. Tank sensors are probably no where near that check list.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
            X