This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide out motor

We have a 41 foot Grand Design Momentum trailer. On Tuesday Morning 4:30 a.m. we heard a sound in our wall in the bedroom. We unplugged the TV because we thought maybe it was the electrical outlet in behind the television. We then went into the kitchen to see if we could turn a breaker off. All of a sudden it sounded like a drill was going through the bedroom wall where the closet is. It quite so we went back into the kitchen to check breakers again. I smelled smoke. My husband went outside and around the trailer where the pop out is. There were flames shooting 3 to 4 foot in the air. I handed him fire extinguisher and he climbed up on trailer as I called 911. He then grabbed a hose pouring water down the side of the slide. Firemen came and had to spray more until they felt it was all out. The slide motor shorted and ran and caught fire. This should not have happened. A breaker should have popped to stop this. Grand Design sent someone out and he is now telling us that they will not take responsibility for a manufacturing error on their part. We paid a very large amount of money for our 5th Wheel. It is the second Grand Design that we have owned and have actually convinced other people to buy their products because they have always been very good about taking care of things. This is going to be a large amount of money since the wall for the closet and the roof are extensively damaged. We will probably be cancelled by insurance if we have to use it. Why is it not being taken care of because of manufacturer error???

Toni
    This is a forum of fellow owners like yourself that help each other with "DIY" type repairs and projects. Your issue is well outside the scope of this forum's purpose. Sorry, while I certainly sympathize with your complaint there's nothing this forum can do about it.

Howard (Moderator)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

If this is the full account of what occurred, ie. you're still under warranty, then go back to GD. The mobile tech has a boss, send your photos and documentation directly to a GD Service manager or higher-ups.
      Finally, certainly go to your insurance carrier. This type of incident is why you pay premiums. How much money are you willing to eat rather than file a justified claim? Also, insurance companies have investigators. If they they find evidence of fault on GD's part they will take action to recover on their/your loss. Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

This thread is closed, see post 2 above.

Moderator Team
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
        X