Cord failed near end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cord failed near end

The cord stays paired to the surge suppressor so it's not like it gets plugged in and unplugged. Also been plugged in at the house for a couple of months.

We did have a power outage the other day for under 5 minutes. Do not know if this was related.

I noticed when running the jacks the other day the voltage dropped by a lot (down into the 11's). Thought nothing of it. Fast forward to this afternoon, I ran the slides out to check things and see what needed to be moved for the annual inspection trip so I can go get the registration. When running the slides all out at once (yes I do this from the manual panel on purpose) I checked the battery level on the panel and it was E. Looked up to notice the voltage gauges were all dark.

Start checking, Main power breaker on, so go around to the house panel and its tripped (note I still have a 30A 2 pole breaker for the camper but this has never been an issue). I flip it back on and it holds. Back around to the camper and everything is on and normal. A while goes by and I go to check the battery charge gauge in the hold and note it's discharging. Back inside, the voltage gauges are dark again. back to the house panel and it's tripped.

Flip house breaker on again, and she thought she heard it trip. So I walk back over to see, and it's still on, but as I walk away I hear it trip. So, I walk around to the camper with the intention of unplugging the cord from the wall to determine if it's camper or wiring related. As I walk up, I notice the rocks under the cord are black and then as I unplug the surge protector, I notice some scraps of string on the ground burnt. Originally they were in the rocks but I picked them up to see what they were and dropped them back on the driveway.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Burnt-Rocks.jpg Views:	9 Size:	132.6 KB ID:	104928

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sting-burnt.jpg Views:	7 Size:	239.8 KB ID:	104929

I did not get a picture before I cut the insulation back, but this is what I found at the edge of the strain protector inside the cord.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Burnt-chord-1.jpg Views:	7 Size:	117.5 KB ID:	104930

And After I stripped back the strain protector a bit:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Burnt-Chord-2.jpg Views:	7 Size:	95.2 KB ID:	104931

Looks like the insulation between the black hot and ground became compromised some how (strings were wet and main cord black insulation was cracked). We did have some freezing conditions over the past few weeks and some rain this week.

The bright shiny green and other insulation colors are where I nicked them with the razor knife.

MORAL: Check the cord ends. Don't know how it got damaged or how long it was off, but thankfully the breaker caught it. Surge protector pre cord showed no signs or indications of anything wrong with wiring. I don't even think a hard wired one would have caught it b/c it was a direct short vs broke wire. the wires you see are all still in tact with a few melted conductors.
    Last edited by howson; 02-04-2023, 08:01 PM.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Joseph,

Is this an homemade cord? The end looks like a bolt on aftermarket end and not the usual factory molded to the cord end.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Jlawles2 -- water intrusion?
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Joseph,

Is there any strain relief when the cord is plugged in? I wonder about these cords beginning to fail internally or from insulation cracking to allow moisture in. I will be more diligent in routing my cord through the ladder to take some stress off.

Jim

Comment

In addition to checking cord ends/connectors, coiling a cord affords the perfect opportunity to inspect for nicks, cuts and abrasions down its length.

Mike
          Mike & Sonya
          2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
          Blue Ox SwayPro
          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

The first picture is after I put a generic 14-50P on to replace the moulded one. Note the third and fourth pics where you can see the moulded end.

The strings were wet, how water would have gotten in is beyond me.

The surge protector does the strain relief out of the house to where it lays on the ground.

There was no evidence of nicks on the cord. There are the generic scratches in the outer layer but none deep enough to expose any of the internals. More like sandpaper ran down it's length when coiling it on the ground. The only signs of insulation failure were at the ends. I might be able to pull the outer shielding from the trash and get a pic as I did a long slice and then circumferential cut to get to the failure point.
            Joseph
            Tow
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post
              In addition to checking cord ends/connectors, coiling a cord affords the perfect opportunity to inspect for nicks, cuts and abrasions down its length.

Mike
              I wipe the cord down after each use and hope this may catch and issue. But until now its just been to wipe dirt off.

Jim

Comment

Are you connected with an EMS?
                Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                Demco Recon

Comment

I have a southwire surge guard between the end that failed and the plug on the side of the house.

https://www.southwire.com/power-mana...tector/p/44270
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                  X