Snap Pads and lightning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snap Pads and lightning

I read the article by Mike Sokol on the use of Snap pads and lightning.
    Good stuff. I do have room for the Tesla coil but he cannot use my coach.
    I have a surge protector. However, they are of no help in the event of a strike.

My question - Do you disconnect the shore power from the CG pedestal during a thunderstorm? If so, why?

Thanks,
    Steve
    2022 Momentum 381MS
    2024 F-350 Platinum DRW
    Reese Elite 27K Puck System
    Garmin RV890 & DashCam 57

Originally posted by Raven's Roost View Post
    I read the article by Mike Sokol on the use of Snap pads and lightning.
    Good stuff. I do have room for the Tesla coil but he cannot use my coach.
    I have a surge protector. However, they are of no help in the event of a strike.

My question - Do you disconnect the shore power from the CG pedestal during a thunderstorm? If so, why?

Thanks,
    Steve
    I read the same article this morning, Steve. Yes, I unplug my trailer (it's in my backyard) when a storm approaches. If there's a significant power line surge due to a close lightning strike I'd rather it not get into my rig. Mike recommended that practice in a different article.

As Sokol emphasized, nothing is going to protect the trailer from a direct hit. That would constitute a bad day...

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Bad day does not begin to describe it.
      My house took a hit from a strike to the Verizon Land Line which came down a power pole and entered the house.
      Blew all manner of electronics and appliances. AND totaled my truck which was parked on top of the underground wire.
      Thanks for the reply. Shall have to ensure I am disconnected.
      Steve
      2022 Momentum 381MS
      2024 F-350 Platinum DRW
      Reese Elite 27K Puck System
      Garmin RV890 & DashCam 57

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I read the same article this morning, Steve. Yes, I unplug my trailer (it's in my backyard) when a storm approaches. If there's a significant power line surge due to a close lightning strike I'd rather it not get into my rig. Mike recommended that practice in a different article.

As Sokol emphasized, nothing is going to protect the trailer from a direct hit. That would constitute a bad day...

Howard

howson No faith in your EMS?
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
        X