Backup Camera Problems - $10 Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Camera Problems - $10 Fix

As has been discussed a number of times on this forum, many newer tow vehicles started using a PWM signal to power the trailer’s tail and running lights. This causes intermittent connection issues. I just finished installing a $10 fix that I wanted to share with everyone. It is actually part of my DC-DC charger install, but the video I made goes into detail about how to use the 12v auxiliary power from the 7 pin connector. You simply add a $10 relay and use the light circuit to control the relay that in turn sends a clean 12v supply to the lights and camera.

https://youtu.be/ThQP5A9a6y0

Click image for larger version

Name:	016ABE8E-F933-4644-AB05-203143AE7C98.jpg
Views:	1367
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	114618
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder​
    YouTube Chanel

Jomani -- those without upfitter switches should still consider your alternative. My friend's Dodge had an perfect location to mount a switch on the left lower side of the dashboard. Running the requisite wires wasn't too difficult, either (obviously could be different depending on make and year of the vehicle).

Added the Reference Library tag to your post.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson
      The camera fix part of the circuit doesn’t require the upfitter switch. It simply uses the tail/running light circuit to actuate the relay to connect the 12v auxiliary power to the tail/running light circuit. Here is a picture of that circuit isolated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9BFB4F9A-3692-4A40-BCD6-90AE57CA57D9.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	114714
      2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
      2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder​
      YouTube Chanel

Comment

Working...
      X