Battery disconnect switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery disconnect switches

With so many upgrading their batteries, Solar, etc, I’m wondering what everyone is using for their battery disconnects. I seem to see a lot of blue sea systems switches but those (for the most part) appear to be 300A although they do make a 600A switch.
    Jim & Kathy
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    2022 RAM 1500 Limited Longhorn, Hemi e-Torque, 3:92,
    trailer tow pkg, 4x air suspension, TT TPMS.

Originally posted by Kathy&Jim_Imagine View Post
    With so many upgrading their batteries, Solar, etc, I’m wondering what everyone is using for their battery disconnects. I seem to see a lot of blue sea systems switches but those (for the most part) appear to be 300A although they do make a 600A switch.
    I've used the 300A version in three places: duplicate the OEM "battery disconnect", create a complete, 100% battery disconnect, and also to disconnect the solar panels from the MPPT controller input. (The latter provided by AMSolar in a kit that was purchased from them.)

The latter point will be argued by others as "not meeting code" (and I'm not qualified to disagree with them). However, it's not hard to find evidence that it's not absolutely required to have what's required in a home (an AC-coupled array) as required by the electrical code. For example, GD doesn't provide any cutoff between their panels and controller and it "meets RVIA code" ( @Cate&Rob is rolling his eyes ). You go on AMSolar's website you'll see example after example of wiring diagrams that show the Blue Sea utilized for the small, DC-coupled arrays on an RV. As a business installing aftermarket systems, if it was required they'd do it.

Just my .02. Quite OK if others disagree. Ultimately, after all inputs are received, so what you think best.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have used this type Amazon.com: Kohree Battery Disconnect Switch, 12V-48V Battery Isolator Power Cut Off Master Switch Waterproof for RV, ATV, Car, Marine, Boat, AUTO, with 4 Mounting Bolts, 275 Amps, (On/Off) : Automotive​ between the solar panels and the solar controller as well as between the batteries and the coach, true battery disconnect. When I moved from 2 batteries to 6 I went with a heavier model for the battery disconnect.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I went with the Blue Sea 6006. It can handle 300 amps continuous but also is capable of up to 900 amps for 30 seconds (cranking) and 500 amps for up to 5 minutes. I can’t imagine the need for anything larger than that in an RV but who knows. The main reason I went with Blue Sea is their reputation for building a quality product.
        2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
        2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder​
        YouTube Chanel

Comment

Working...
        X