Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best location for Hughes Power Watchdog hardwired in momentum 31G travel trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best location for Hughes Power Watchdog hardwired in momentum 31G travel trailer?

I am going to install the hardwired surge protector in my rig, but I am wondering where others have installed it in theirs? A logical place would be in the box behind the closet where the transfer switch is located but is there gonna be enough wire available to install it there? Or is there a good spot somewhere else to splice into the wire from the shore power input before it gets to the transfer switch?

I don’t get the rig until mid next week so planning what to do when I get it

Not sure I want it under the bed if there are wires there in case it’s got a hum to it?​

In the G series TT models most of the wiring comes up through the front storage compartment (behind a panel) where the inverter and inverter transfer switch is. Should be lots of room for the watchdog though you will likely have to clean up the mess that is in there.

You likely have another transfer switch right on the back of the power center, that is where the main feed comes in. My 10 Awg wiring was bright orange in colour (orange romex) but they did not label which was the feed, which was generator and which was to the power center but it’s not hard to figure out. If you have the Progressive Power system you will have to account for that as well.

You could also optionally mount it under the coroplast near where the main power cord gets plugged in. As I recall from my unit (25G) the main feed never enters the coach until it gets near the transfer switch.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Thorvald; 01-07-2024, 10:10 AM. Reason: Transfer Switch on back of Inverter
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo") | Victron Multiplus | Lithium
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload​

Comment

Originally posted by bossman2024 View Post
      I am going to install the hardwired surge protector in my rig, but I am wondering where others have installed it in theirs? A logical place would be in the box behind the closet where the transfer switch is located but is there gonna be enough wire available to install it there? Or is there a good spot somewhere else to splice into the wire from the shore power input before it gets to the transfer switch?

I don’t get the rig until mid next week so planning what to do when I get it

Not sure I want it under the bed if there are wires there in case it’s got a hum to it?​
      If/when I install one in my little 21G, it will either be behind the main distribution panel (as Thorvald mentioned) or under the bed where wiring for the generator is.
      Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
      X