LED light strip...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED light strip...

So I've decided to add a twelve volt color changing light strip under the awning above the porch light. There have been many thoughts about how I can wire it into twelve volts.

Personally, switched from the porch would be best, but i don't want to delete the light itself (keeping it usable in case of incident). The options that are left are less desirable but are going to be the ones I use.

The question I have is that if anyone knows if the awning has a secondary twelve volt supply to it (standard powered awning with no lighting) where i can add a switch in the control panel? Or am I going to have to go the route of running a fused wire from the battery.

I'm no fan of the last one due to the possibility of draining the battery down. I could always wire it from the battery cut off but would likely have to drill through the deck or elsewhere, and i don't like that idea.

Thoughts?
    "It is what you make it"

'24 Chevy 2500hd crew cab long bed, '22 transcend xplor 261bh

DaveRunsMad

I looked through all the resources at my disposal and also a few YouTube walkthru videos on the 261BH. Adding a 12vDC circuit will not be easy.

If there's a way to get a line up to the roof (non-destructively), maybe come across and down to the awning? Many have used satellite paths, vent paths (especially in the bathroom area) and possibly even the solar path for a (new) circuit path.

Tough task regardless.

I realize it appears this option's been dismissed, but suggest looking again at the possibility of leaving the original lighting in place and make conversion of the power source from the old to the new lighting with compatible plugs. That will allow an easy switch back to OEM if required.

Please update this thread with what you do--should be an interesting project!

Howard
    Last edited by howson; 02-09-2024, 03:46 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Well, if anyone's foolish enough to try it. It'll be me! lol

With my background being mainly industrial electrical and material handling equipment repair this should be a walk in the park! 😅🤣🤣😅 I'm really hoping (but not planning on it) that GD left an accessory circuit at the awning, that would make things super simple.

I will certainly do my best to chronicle this upgrade even if its just running wires from the battery.

Thanks for the pep talk Howard!
      "It is what you make it"

Comment

Just a quick update on my project. No pictures or anything of real weight. I've been poking around outside of the RV and have noted one thing: the wiring behind the awning arm (on mine) is somewhat exposed, and almost completely unsealed to the elements...

Also, I've cut to the chase and contacted Lippert directly VIA chat to ask if there is any additional wiring built into the awning.

Long story short, there is not.
        "It is what you make it"

Comment

So, in looking at my project, I was looking at possible 12VDC sources and have narrowed in on the bunk structure. There is the side wall on the lower bunk with a 12VDC light and usb port on the wall facing outward. Looking at the bunk structure, it has a plywood top, a hollow core and a roof underneath it. This is all over the outdoor kitchen, heater and HWT. Tons of workable room!

Most importantly: The awning mounts are in that location with dead space behind it. I think I've found my wire path!
          "It is what you make it"

Comment

Working...
          X