Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating USB port and Adding Lighting to Bedside Cubby on 22MLE

Hello All,

I thought I'd share my most recent modification to our 2023 XLS 22MLE.

Preamble Ramble:

One of the things that we really like about the 22MLE are the bedside cubby holes. It’s a minor thing, I know, but it is very convenient and a nice use of available space. And GD added a USB outlet offering 1 amp USB-A and USB-C charging capability (though not useable simultaneously).
    However, the thing that I thought would make it even better was lighting; some kind of low-lumen lighting that would allow you to see into the depths of the cubby, but not blind you when you turned it on. I also wanted a little more flexibility for charging devices; something that would offer a bit more than 1 amp and would allow charging via USB-A and USB-C simultaneously.

After doing a little research, I found a good multi-USB port outlet that I thought would work well and fulfill my device charging needs. The trickier part was finding an appropriate light to mount in the cubby. I wanted a surface mount LED light to which I could run a two-conductor wire from the power feed wires connected to the USB ports. I would run the two-conductor wire via the 1/2" inch void between the cubby top and the storage closet floor. With this in mind, I found a set of smaller, LED puck lights that are dimmable and blue light capable. Perfect!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7466.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	131806 ​​
    Finished project. The lighting and mult-USB port are awesome!

Parts and Materials listing:
    • 3 inch, 12v, RV LED Puck Light with Dimmer switch and blue nightlight 3000K (Set of 4). (I found these on Amazon under the Acegoo brand.)
    • (2) 3 port, 12V USB Outlet, Dual USB A 3.1 ports, Single USB C PD QC 3.0 port. (I found these on Amazon under the Linkstyle brand.)
    • Closed-end crimp connectors – 22-16, 16-14, and 12-10 sizes. (Or use any other 12v crimp connectors you’re comfortable with.)
    • (10ft) 16 gauge stranded two-conductor wire. (Note: I used 16 AWG two-conductor wire because I had some left over from another LED project. But you can use larger wire (14 or 12 AWG) if you wish. I wouldn't go smaller than 16 AWG, and larger than 12 would be difficult to work with.)
    • (2) 1” plastic hole plugs
    Tools Needed:
    • Electrical work tools (Cutters, strippers, crimpers, etc.)
    • Drill and 1/16” bit (for pilot holes)
    • 1” hole saw
    • Zip-saw or equivalent (to cut USB port hole)
    • Screw drivers
    • Stiff section of wire (for fishing two-conductor wire through spaces)
    As a note, I’m going to recommend modifying one cubby at a time, i.e. changing the USB port and then adding the puck light to one bedside cubby before moving to the other. However, you can do it in any sequence you wish; it’s just easier to change the USB port and add the lighting at the same time. Also, since you’ll be working with 12 volts DC, shock hazards are not a big concern, but blowing a fuse is. So, you may wish to remove the fuse that controls the 12V accessories. And one other note: The QA on many of these electronic components is often hit or miss. I always check functionality on the test bench before beginning installation, and most definitely before the return window has closed!

Part One : Removing and adding the USB Port -

First thing we’re going to do is to remove the old USB outlet and replace it with a new outlet. Simply remove the old port (you may save this for use in other locations if you wish), cut the wires from the old USB port, trace the proper size hole around the old hole, then – after ensuring that the power wiring will not be damaged – cut the new hole for the new USB port. Test fit to make sure that the new port fits properly, but don’t connect the wires yet. You’re going to need to access the feed wires through this hole when you install the puck light.

Name:	IMG_7461.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	131807 ​​​
    New USB port and a poorly cut mounting hole.
    The popsicle stick visible at the top of the hole
    is an "oopsie" repair.

Part Two: Installing the Puck Lights -

The first step here is to mark a mounting location for the light and drill a one-inch hole in the roof of the cubby. My drill point was roughly 3 inches from the front edge and 6 inches from either front or rear of the cubby. (You’re placement depends on which light you chose.) Be careful not to drill into the floor of the closet; just through the roof of the cubby!

Next, we move to inside the closet where we make a mark roughly 3 ½ inches from the inside wall and an inch from the forward brace stock at the front of the closet floor. At this spot, drill another 1 inch hole. This is the “fishing hole” we will use to fish the two-conductor wire from the cubby roof through and down the back of the cubby, and out through the USB Port hole cut earlier.

Name:	IMG_7454.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	131808 ​​
    Location of the 1 inch "fishing hole" that is used to
    fish the two conductor wire from the power wires to
    the LED puck light. The hole is later plugged with a
    1" plastic plug.

Now that all holes are cut, use a stiff piece of wire (or other means) to fish the two-conductor wire from the cubby roof hole, through the void between the cubby roof and the closet floor, and then down the back of the cubby through the USB port hole. (This was actually easier than it sounds, though it may take a couple of tries.)

Using the crimp connectors, connect the power wires and the LED and USB port wires together making sure to get the polarity correct. Once the wires are connected, do a quick power check to make sure the light and the USB port are operational. (Remember to replace the fuse if you removed it.)

Name:	IMG_7464.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	131809 ​​
    Operational check on the light and USB port before final installation.

Once you’ve confirmed that it’s all operating properly, mount the USB port and the puck light. Finally, take the 1” plastic hole plug and plug the “fishing hole” in the closet floor. Done! Now… to the other side.

One of the things I really like about these particular puck lights is not only do they have a blue light option, but the white light is dimmable, and – this is a biggie – they stay at the last set dimming level throughout power cycles. Basically, set it and forget it. Plus, the four pack gives you two extra lights for spares, or in case you mess one up and/or have some other location where you’d like to mount one.

(In case you’re wondering, the little organizer in the cubby is my “Cubby Buddy” system that I designed and made with my 3D printer. If you’re interested, the .stl files are downloadable from here … as well as some other 3D printed accessories for the 22MLE.)

Name:	IMG_7467.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	131810 ​​
    The blue light option really makes this light installation "spouse friendly".

Melsman
    Last edited by Melsman; 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM.
    2023 XLS 22MLE towed by a 2017 F150. This is our fourth RV, though our first travel trailer.

Melsman -- the pictures don't appear to be attached?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      Melsman -- the pictures don't appear to be attached?
      Hmmm... they appear on my end when I access the page. However, I went ahead and re-loaded them. Can you see them now?

Melsman

2023 XLS 22MLE towed by a 2017 F150. This is our fourth RV, though our first travel trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Melsman View Post
        Hmmm... they appear on my end when I access the page. However, I went ahead and re-loaded them. Can you see them now?
        Yes! Hope it just wasn't my internet connection...thanks for taking the time to upload them and the excellent documentation.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson - No worries! Glad you can see them now. We'll just blame you and you're browser. ;-) And, as always, thanks for the kind words!

Comment

Working...
          X