Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 17MKE Electrical set up

Good Morning,

Brand new 2024 17MKE. Came with a standard marine lead acid battery. I have purchased and installed 2 EPOCH batteries. they are 12.8V 105 amp hour batteries. Here are the specs for the batteries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	98
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	132758

I know the charge controller will automatically sense that these are lithium ion batteries and will handle that. The question that I have is do I need to change the configuration of the solar controller to know it is charging Lithium Ion batteries. I have the Furrion MPPT 40A solar controller. I have connected to the bluetooth and it is there, but do I need to change the settings to know it is charging a lithium ion battery. The manual for the controller has many different types of batteries.

Thanks in advance for any information and support.

Originally posted by MJChamp1996 View Post
    I know the charge controller will automatically sense that these are lithium ion batteries and will handle that. The question that I have is do I need to change the configuration of the solar controller to know it is charging Lithium Ion batteries. I have the Furrion MPPT 40A solar controller. I have connected to the bluetooth and it is there, but do I need to change the settings to know it is charging a lithium ion battery. The manual for the controller has many different types of batteries.

Thanks in advance for any information and support.
    On page 18 of the manual (can be found here for others who may be interested in the manual) under Operation is the Advanced Modes & Parameter Settings instructions. Set the battery parameter to LI ("lithium"). Then adjust the charging voltage to 14.4v.

Separate topic: are you going to use the OEM provided converter? FYI, it will take quite a long time to charge (assuming the batteries are significantly discharged at some point). See Rob's ( Cate&Rob ) comment in this post: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...588#post132588

Howard

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for the response and information. I will change the settings tonight and look into the other information provided. Much appreciated.

Comment

I have the ability through the BT app for the batteries to monitor the incoming amperage to see what that is all like. The converter in the 2024 has been changed to a larger unit. Sunny in Vermont today so when I get home I will look at what the charge rate is. I might need to discharge the batteries overnight and see what tomorrow looks like.

Comment

I have the ability through the BT app for the batteries to monitor the incoming amperage to see what that is all like. The converter in the 2024 has been changed to a larger unit. Sunny in Vermont today so when I get home I will look at what the charge rate is. I might need to discharge the batteries overnight and see what tomorrow looks like.
          Are we referencing the same component? The converter in your Imagine is completely separate from the Furrion Solar Controller. The converter will charge the battery 24/7 when the trailer is plugged into shore power. Again, a completely separate component in a system that is NOT part of solar. (It does work WITH the solar setup, though, as both can charge the batteries simultaneously.)

In the 17MKE the converter is likely a component inside the Power Distribution Panel. See here for what the panel looks like: https://legacy.granddesignrv.com/ifr...s-detail/79076

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

I am talking about the solar controller. As I dig into this further my second question is does the solar controller go directly to the battery? I would be looking for a wiring diagram of the solar system on the 2024 17MKE. If the Solar controller goes directly to the battery, that would enable a 40 amp charge rate per design capacity, I do question the wire size used, but I would hope GD got that designed right, especially since I can stick a second panel on the roof.

Is it possible to get a wiring diagram of the solar system on the 2024 MKE?

Comment

Second reason is that I have a Yoshino B4000 solid state battery that I plan to use as a 120V power source when a power hookup is not available. It has the ability to accept a solar charing input to it that I would like to use the solar panel to do. I am wondering if I can wire directly to the solar controller output through a 3 way switch to divert from the onboard batteries to this standby battery.

Comment

Is it possible to get a wiring diagram of the solar system on the 2024 MKE?
                No, but it's pretty simple. The solar panel(s) plug into a roof connector. The roof connector's wires (under the roof) connect to the INPUT side of the solar controller. The solar controller's OUTPUT is connected to the batteries.

There may (or may not) be disconnect switches and/or breakers and fuses in the path. GD has changed their methods multiple times, so it's impossible to accurately state your Imagine's configuration without a physical inspection.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Second reason is that I have a Yoshino B4000 solid state battery that I plan to use as a 120V power source when a power hookup is not available. It has the ability to accept a solar charing input to it that I would like to use the solar panel to do. I am wondering if I can wire directly to the solar controller output through a 3 way switch to divert from the onboard batteries to this standby battery.
                  That could work, assuming the Yoshino's charging parameters are the same as the LiPO4s we've already discussed.

An alternative is to get a second solar controller and use the 3-way switch to change where the solar panels are sending their input instead of switching the controller's output. If the Yoshino has a different charge profile this will eliminate having to make changes in the controller's parameters every time it's switched to charge the different battery.

The alternative of a second controller will also eliminate having to remember to turn off the input side (coming from the panels) before switching the output side (which is also what powers the "brains" of the controller). Look on page 3 of the Furrion manual. It states, under Charge Controller Safety: NEVER connect the solar panel array to the controller without connecting a battery to the controller first.​ In other words, you shouldn't switch the output side (which battery bank is being charged) without disconnecting the input (from the solar panels to the controller) first.

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

Thank you very much for the info. I did miss needing to disconnect the panels from the controller before switching the output. What would you recommend for a second controller?

I have changed the controller to be a lithium ion battery. I cannot get the furion solar app to connect to the controller to change the other parameters. I can sew the controller in the app, but it won't connect. I have cleared the Bluetooth password on the controller and still cannot connect.

Thank vert much for the sage advice.

Comment

Thank you very much for the info. I did miss needing to disconnect the panels from the controller before switching the output. What would you recommend for a second controller?
                      That's easy to answer -- get a Victron! Size the controller to match the maximum array you may eventually have on your roof. See this thread for more information: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/3...ller-which-one

I have changed the controller to be a lithium ion battery. I cannot get the furion solar app to connect to the controller to change the other parameters. I can sew the controller in the app, but it won't connect. I have cleared the Bluetooth password on the controller and still cannot connect.

With the exception of the microwave in my 315RLTS, my personal experience with Furrion products is not good. As a Senior Moderator here, I've read thousands of posts related to Furrion products. In some cases their product fulfills a minimum requirement and thus meets the need of a given scenario but rarely is any Furrion product high on anyone's "you gotta buy this" list. (I'm trying to be nice, can you tell?)

Bottom line: if the budget will allow, replace the Furrion with a Victron SmartSolar Charge Controller (not BlueSolar). The Smart version has built-in bluetooth and, together with the VictronConnect app, is fantastic. Yes, it will cost a bit more than others, but IMHO the Victron gear is well worth the money.

Thank vert much for the sage advice.

You're most welcome -- the forum exists so owners can help other owners.

Howard & Francine

Comment

I just ordered the victron smartsolar 100/50 as I plan to add more solar to the camper and didn't think the 30 was going to be big enough. Amazon $182. From what I have seen it will be worth it to have the proper charge going to my expensive LifePO4 batteries. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X