Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Awning Fuse Behind Convenience Center Panel (2019 315RLTS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awning Fuse Behind Convenience Center Panel (2019 315RLTS)

While doing another project I stumbled across a 7.5A fuse for the front awning (extends over the doorway) on my 315RLTS. What is really surprising is that this is < 4' above the Power Center that has many open fuse spots. I must admit to being mystified why they'd put this fuse here instead of on the fuse panel where it would be easy to find--and change--should there be a need.

FYI, the purpose of this post is not to bash GD but to document this fuse with a picture to hopefully help someone in the future. And while I don't need (or want) a response here, I think it is a suggestion that should be passed on to Micah and his Reflection team GDRV-Megan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning Fuse.JPG
Views:	3131
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	16275
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Same thing with the 2020 Imagine. The fuse is in the rat's nest of wiring behind the panel. Why put it there without even mentioning the location in the manual?
    2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
    2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
    FMCA # 489460

Comment

The “Manual” leaves a lot to be desired. It is generic to body style, fifth-wheel or travel trailer, with no specifics to any certain models. I was greatly disappointed in the “Manual” that came with our unit. For a company that seems to both stress, and be known for, quality above other companies, there could be a lot of improvements to the “Manual”.
      Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
      Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
      2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
      Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
      Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        I must admit to being mystified why they'd put this fuse here instead of on the fuse panel where it would be easy to find--and change--should there be a need.
        This is not something new and Grand Design has been building this way since the very start. My 2015 Reflection has this same fuse behind the main panel and the concerns with this location have been discussed with the factory. The "counterpoint" (and I am not saying that I agree with this!) is that other things like the water pump and the entertainment center have inline fuses behind access panels.

Rob

Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Tom in PGH View Post
          The “Manual” leaves a lot to be desired. It is generic to body style, fifth-wheel or travel trailer, with no specifics to any certain models. I was greatly disappointed in the “Manual” that came with our unit. For a company that seems to both stress, and be known for, quality above other companies, there could be a lot of improvements to the “Manual”.
          Check out Airstream. They do it the same way.
          The Fraser Family
          Watertown, WI
          2020 GDRV Imagine 2800BH
          2017 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.55 rear

Comment

Not sure of the issues in not using standardized harnesses for 12VDC where using a plug and play harness would have to reduce manufacturing time and warranty.

https://www.yazaki-group.com/global/...e_harness.html

Jim

Comment

Can you please confirm what kind of awnings you have? What I am being told is that this is the way that Dometic installed their fuses for their awnings. This was a bad design. This was part of the reason why Grand Design has changed to using LCI awnings.

Comment

GDRV-Megan
                Hi Megan,

Our awning is an LCI Solera, going way back to 2015 . . . with the fuse behind the main panel as shown in post 1.
                This fuse would have had to be installed at assembly . . . it is not part of the awning.

Rob
                Attached Files
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  GDRV-Megan
                  Hi Megan,

Our awning is an LCI Solera, going way back to 2015 . . . with the fuse behind the main panel as shown in post 1.
                  This fuse would have had to be installed at assembly . . . it is not part of the awning.

Rob
                  Thanks for the follow up! I'll pass that along as well. At first, production was thinking that this was just something that Dometic had installed. Good to know! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post

Thanks for the follow up! I'll pass that along as well. At first, production was thinking that this was just something that Dometic had installed. Good to know! Thanks!
                    Megan, I can verify it isn't just in Reflections. My new Imagine has the fuse in the same location--behind the command panel at the entrance. The awning is also an LCI Solera.

Norris
                    2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
                    2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
                    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
                    FMCA # 489460

Comment

Is this fuse for extending/retracting the awning? Or is it for the lights?

Comment

Good morning, Megan,
                        On my 315RLTS, the fuse comes off the EXT/RET switch on the Convenience Center for the front awning. If you look back at the picture in post #1 it shows the wiring, switch, and fuse.

Getting back to my original point, there are multiple empty slots on the 12v rail for this fuse in the power center. It is my contention that Grand Design should put it on the fuse panel that is literally about 3' below the Convenience Center. Why hide it behind the Convenience Center panel when it would be very easy to install on the fuse panel?

BL: In all cases where a fuse is required in a circuit, the design philosophy (IMO) should be safe, easy access for the owner. That current fuse location doesn't meet either of those criteria.

Howard
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

There is also a fuse behind the nautilus panel. I saw it when I was running wires for the solar. I didn't take the time to see what it was for. Maybe the water pump?
                          2018 Reflection 315RLTS
                          2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Hi Megan,

I think you might be right . . . that hidden fuse is likely for the awning lights. I say this because there is a 15A fuse in the main panel labeled "Awning". I am not inclined to pull my panel out (and disturb the rest of that rats nest ), just to prove this one way or the other. 7.5A would seem like a lot for a strip of LEDs that would not be drawing even 1A.

howson The fuse behind the water panel (either Kantleak or Nautilus) is a 10A fuse for the water pump.

I think the point of this discussion is that burying fuses when there are empty spaces in the main panel . . . is not the ideal solution.
                            That would be the message back to those at Grand Design who could change this.

Edit: My reply about the fuse behind the water panel should have tagged 315RLTSinPA . . . not Howard.

Rob
                            Last edited by Cate&Rob; 04-21-2020, 12:45 PM.
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

OKKKK I have a little bit more information regarding WHY that fuse is located where it is. That fuse is located behind the panel because it is the most convenient location for production to put it inline. It needs to be inline due to the wire gauge size that the awning manufacturer(s) use for the awning roll/awning strip light. It is smaller than what we use for our panel. This fuse will protect those lights from pulling too much draw.

Thanks guys for continuing to bring these details up and expanding my knowledge!! #themoreyouknow

Comment

Working...
                              X