Shore GFCI Tripping 25 G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shore GFCI Tripping 25 G

Last summer we traded in our Crossroads TT for a new Momentum 25G , both 30 Amp. With our old unit we could plug into 120V connection at the storage unit but the new unit trips the GFCI immediately, I also tried plugging in to outlet in storage unit next to ours and it tripped as well. When we plug into 30-amp service at campground we have no electrical issues that I have discovered. I have tried 2 different gauge extension cords. Not that it is a big issue but as we get further into summer it would be nice to turn on AC a day before we go out. The only thing I can come up with is the new unit draws more amps than the previous one and the outlet amperage is rated to low. We have everything off when we plug it in. I read on facebook that is has something to do with the generator neutral bonding. I am just wondering if anyone has experienced similar?

Originally posted by moyer62 View Post
    Last summer we traded in our Crossroads TT for a new Momentum 25G , both 30 Amp. With our old unit we could plug into 120V connection at the storage unit but the new unit trips the GFCI immediately, I also tried plugging in to outlet in storage unit next to ours and it tripped as well. When we plug into 30-amp service at campground we have no electrical issues that I have discovered. I have tried 2 different gauge extension cords. Not that it is a big issue but as we get further into summer it would be nice to turn on AC a day before we go out. The only thing I can come up with is the new unit draws more amps than the previous one and the outlet amperage is rated to low. We have everything off when we plug it in. I read on facebook that is has something to do with the generator neutral bonding. I am just wondering if anyone has experienced similar?
    Welcome to GD's Technical Forum. Can you please clarify--GFCI at the house or in the camper?

Only item that may be on (that you're not aware of) is the converter which charges your battery. You can turn that off using the circuit breaker on the main control panel (assuming a 25G has a control panel!).

There's many very experienced individuals here ("real" electricians) who can help you isolate the issue, so I'll just say "Welcome to the Forum" and monitor the conversation.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

There are some issues with the way GD wires the generator transfer switch in some units. They bond the neutral to the ground at the wrong place, resulting in the GFCI seeing a downstream bond which it determines is a fault. It doesn’t cause problems on normal RV outlets and is needed for the generator, but messes things up when trying to run from a shore power circuit with a GFCI.

The solution is to separate the generator and shore power neutrals. GD has a drawing they will send you to tell you how to fix it.
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Working...
      X