Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marker Light Fixed - '19 315RLTS (Broken Wire)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marker Light Fixed - '19 315RLTS (Broken Wire)

Pressing on with my "down under" projects (coroplast down). One of them was to figure out why a cap marker light was inoperative. What I found is GD used a butt splice to join the LED light's wires to the trailer's marker light circuit. The butt splice is hanging behind the cap without any strain relief. Over time the marker light circuit wire (which goes down the front of the cap and then joins with the front marker light, the one closest to the ground) pulled out of that butt splice. Thankfully just one of the two wires pulled out of it's splice so I was able to pull the wire assy out through the mounting hole and rewire.

That's two butt-splices that have caused light failures. (One was an interior light and now the marker light. The first pic below is from the interior.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	splice.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	21562

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring issue.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	21563

Simple fix--used new heat shrink butt splices and reinforced with glue-lined heat shrink on top. I did both sides, both wires so I won't have to do it again.

Howard

GDRV-Megan -- the splice behind the cap could use some strain relief. If both wires had failed it would have been quite a job to route them back up to the marker light. Please pass on to the Reflection team. (Thanks!)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

howson Thanks for providing this detailed write-up! I have passed this along to Micah and his team! I'll update you here if I have any follow up questions or feedback to provide!

Comment

Working...
    X