"Down Under" Electrical Work-- 99% Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Just to add that Howard's wiring "discoveries" when he dropped the coroplast are not unusual at all. This is the construction standard of the towable RV industry as "regulated" by their RVIA inspections that we all pay a premium for. Not even in the same game as the requirements of residential/automotive/marine/aviation.

Attached are pictures from my Reflection 303RLS when I dropped the coroplast.

Rob
    Rob,

I'm still laughing. The auto industry would be out of business with this system.

Howard....excellent work as usual.

Jim

Comment

Just to add that Howard's wiring "discoveries" when he dropped the coroplast are not unusual at all. This is the construction standard of the towable RV industry as "regulated" by their RVIA inspections that we all pay a premium for. Not even in the same game as the requirements of residential/automotive/marine/aviation.

Attached are pictures from my Reflection 303RLS when I dropped the coroplast.

Rob
      How is your NEC casual reading going?
      Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
      2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
      2020 Momentum 351M
      2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post

How is your NEC casual reading going?
        Hi Curtis,

Yeah . . . I'll get right on that . . .

Several years ago, Curtis provided me with a copy of the NEC (US National Electrical Code) . . . all 1345 pages of it! as part of some electrical discussion that we were having. Definitely a good reference document . . . but, not casual reading .

It is interesting how RVIA uses this document (intended for things that don't bounce down the road) as their authority for appropriate electrical wiring and connections in RVs. And then, don't enforce anything anywhere close to even the NEC standards, for wire routing and securing.

RVIA should have a look as ABYC (American Boat & Yacht Council) for wiring requirements for things that get bounced around.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Curtis,

RVIA should have a look as ABYC (American Boat & Yacht Council) for wiring requirements for things that get bounced around.

Rob
          It's nuts that there is an INSPECTED/EXPECTED standard for residential/commercial and boating, but in the RV world it's just "Meh".

They would be able to to save A LOT of time and wiring AND increase safety exponentially IF the implemented a simple conduit system to the frames and walls. Imagine if you will, a conduit system built in to the frames that stubs up. Then built in to the walls, you have the matching receiving end of the conduits. When the walls lock down, the two conduit systems meet. After that, you just pull wire.

Off the box.
          Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
          2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
          2020 Momentum 351M
          2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

It's nuts that there is an INSPECTED/EXPECTED standard for residential/commercial and boating, but in the RV world it's just "Meh".
            The part that drives me nuts is that we each pay a fee to have RVIA "inspect" our RVs . . . and they put a numbered sticker on every one saying that they have done this. A few years ago, I tried to dig into how this works, who does it and what they check for. As near as I can tell . . . all you get for that fee is a meaningless sticker. Even if they checked wiring to the most basic NEC standards, no towable RV would pass.

Rob

Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Great job I have mine apart now and will be doing the same clean-up. The wiring as is horrible

Comment

They would be able to to save A LOT of time and wiring AND increase safety exponentially IF the implemented a simple conduit system to the frames and walls. Imagine if you will, a conduit system built in to the frames that stubs up. Then built in to the walls, you have the matching receiving end of the conduits. When the walls lock down, the two conduit systems meet. After that, you just pull wire.

Off the box.
                My point exactly. Material cost, excess wiring. Efficient electrical runs that are common from Rig to Rig. Modular to a point. This is what the Auto Industry does.
                Gary F
                2020 Solitude 375RES-R
                2019 Ford Super Duty diesel Dually

Comment

howson
                  Nicely done! As a master electrician and an inspector I gotta say you did a nice job.......now I dread dropping my coroplast and doing mine!
                  Keith and Diane
                  2014 Reflection 337 RLS
                  2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Working...
                  X