No power to kitchen slide outlets nor ac power to refrigerator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No power to kitchen slide outlets nor ac power to refrigerator

We found that the refrigerator ac power would not come on but would work on gas. Tried flipping breaker and it fixed it until the next morning, then would not work again. Tried the main breaker again but kept flipping back off. Also found that the three outlets in the kitchen slide also were dead. The breakers look fine. We have a Reflection 295RL.
    Last edited by Kschlauger; 07-31-2019, 03:09 PM.
    Gary & Kathy (and fur baby Sheyla)
    2019 295RL Reflection 5th Wheel
    2018 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

You may have to remove the "next" receptacle in line that works , towards the breaker panel. Check this to see if the wires are "seated" properly. I found one in our 29RS that came from one side of the couch to the other side and the wires were a mess in the receptacle. These receptacle's are not very good, cheap and easy to install. They do not have to strip off any coating , the wire is forced between to sharp edged contacts and a snap cover is used on the back to keep the wires in place. It is also possible that the wire connected to the breaker has come loose. The front of the breaker panel is easy to remove and check this, check them all while you are in there. CAUTION, make sure you have the AC shore power unplugged and no voltage anywhere before servicing this area.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

• Kschlauger
      Kschlauger commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, hadn’t thought of checking wires in receptacles. Will try that and let you know.

Originally posted by Kschlauger View Post
    We found that the refrigerator ac power would not come on but would work on gas. Tried flipping breaker and it fixed it until the next morning, then would not work again. Tried the main breaker again but kept flipping back off. Also found that the three outlets in the kitchen slide also were dead. The breakers look fine. We have a Reflection 295RL.
    What year is your 295RL?

The diagram below is how my 2019 315RLTS is wired. Check all the outlets powered by the "Refrigerator" breaker. If they ALL don't have power the issue is at the panel. If one (or more) have power, it's likely what Country Campers (Brian) described in his post, i.e. a faulty connection at an outlet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outlet to CB Drawing.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	2571

I'll also repeat Brian's warning: disconnect your battery and unhook from shore power before checking anything in the power panel area. If you're not 100% sure you know what you're doing consider hiring an electrician or RV mechanic to do the work.

(And welcome to the forum!)

-Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

• Kschlauger
      Kschlauger commented
      Editing a comment
      Our Reflection is a 2019 as well. Your diagram may be helpful, thanks!

• Kschlauger
      Kschlauger commented
      Editing a comment
      All the outlets in the line with the refrigerator do not work and we’ve checked the wiring in the outlets and they appear tight. None of the outlets in that line are gfi (they seem to have their own breaker and they all work). The breaker on the refrigerator line is not flipped (other than initially it wouldn’t stay on) but could it still be bad? Would it be worth trying to replace that breaker?

The 120V wiring to outlets in the slide goes through two connections between the solid core “house” wiring from the panel to the stranded flexible wiring that allows the slide to move in and out and back to the solid core wiring in the slide. One set of connectors is usually behind the fireplace and the other is above the coroplast under the trailer. I had intermittent electrical connections at the connectors under the trailer when the “rat’s nest” of wiring (including these connectors) got pushed around by the slide drive rack for the curb side slide. If you remove a few coroplast fasteners along the street side towards the back of the slide, you should be able to find these connectors.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 07-31-2019, 04:02 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Kschlauger
      Kschlauger commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, this gives us another avenue to look into.

To make this easier to read I'm posting the OP's COMMENT from post 3.2 here: All the outlets in the line with the refrigerator do not work and we’ve checked the wiring in the outlets and they appear tight. None of the outlets in that line are gfi (they seem to have their own breaker and they all work). The breaker on the refrigerator line is not flipped (other than initially it wouldn’t stay on) but could it still be bad? Would it be worth trying to replace that breaker?

So using my diagram as a visual, none of the outlets on circuit yellow #3 (REFRIGERATOR) have power?

If your answer is "Yes" here's what I suggest before actually changing the breaker:

1) DISCONNECT ALL POWER--both shore power (120vAC) and your battery disconnect (12vDC).

2) Step #1 is imperative--don't skip it! If you're unsure about any of this stop and call a qualified electrician or RV mechanic. Electricity can and will hurt you.

3) Remove the exterior panel covering the circuit breakers. When you open the panel you'll see four fasteners and the panel will come off. Note there are small "e" clips that retain the fasteners that could fall off so pay close attention when removing the panel.

4) Check the wire that is coming out of the REFRIGERATOR circuit breaker. I'd unscrew the wire from the breaker, inspect it, and re-insert. Note the picture below points to my 315RLTS' refrigerator circuit--providing it as an example. Yours may be different so remove/check/reinstall the right wire!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Refrigerator Wire.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	2728

5) Reinstall the panel and apply power. Test your outlets--do they work?

There's obvious other tests that could be done but for now stopping here. And (please) use the QUOTE feature when responding instead of COMMENT when replying. TIA!
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      So using my diagram as a visual, none of the outlets on circuit yellow #3 (REFRIGERATOR) have power?
      UPDATE - Ok, after re-double checking outlets we found that outlets in the living area (NOT in the slide) ARE working and ARE on the same circuit as the Refrigerator and slide outlets that do not work (sorry Howard, I thought we had verified that). Looks like the issue may be as Cate & Rob suggested in being a problem with connectors going through the slide. I’m afraid tearing into that may be beyond our abilities so will probably have to get in line to try to get it to the RV dealer. We really appreciate everyone’s help, Howard your diagrams are VERY helpful!
      Last edited by howson; 08-04-2019, 05:54 PM. Reason: Edited (my) quote to make thread easier to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        The 120V wiring to outlets in the slide goes through two connections between the solid core “house” wiring from the panel to the stranded flexible wiring that allows the slide to move in and out and back to the solid core wiring in the slide. One set of connectors is usually behind the fireplace and the other is above the coroplast under the trailer. I had intermittent electrical connections at the connectors under the trailer when the “rat’s nest” of wiring (including these connectors) got pushed around by the slide drive rack for the curb side slide. If you remove a few coroplast fasteners along the street side towards the back of the slide, you should be able to find these connectors.

Rob
        Thanks so much for pointing us in this direction. We did as suggested and found a mangled mess of some wires that the slide movement definitely destroyed. We were able to get it fixed and our problem is resolved. We will definitely keep an eye on these wires when moving the slide in and out in the future. Thanks again!!

Comment

Working...
        X