clicking noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clicking noise

Recently after boondocking for 3 days with my 2020 Solitude 310GK (it has happened twice in the last 2 weeks) I returned home and plugged into the shore power (50 amp).
    When I plug in and the batteries start to recharge.....the converter fan starts to run....within a couple minutes I hear a very loud clicking sound which appears to come from the battery disconnect. Frequency of the clicking is 15 to 20 seconds.....but as times goes on (hours) it becomes less frequent...to eventually it goes away totally (many hours) and does not happen at all. I assume the clicking goes away when the batteries are fully charged or maybe more fully charged.
    My batteries are 4 6 volt....approximately 8 months old. Batteries were checked a week ago(after the first incident) by the Interstate Battery folks (I hauled the trailer to their shop) and they said everything was fine with the batteries...they were charged and performing as expected "no problem".
    When I got home today (after another 3 day boondocking trip) the reading for the batteries was 11.9 volts(per the level up display)....so I plugged in to shore power to charge batteries and the clicking noise started.
    So my question is what is causing the clicking noise....the noise goes away if I unplug from shore power and stop charging of the batteries. It also goes away if I disconnect the 12 volt disconnect switch. And it goes away after the batteries are charged from being plugged into shore power. I assume the clicking is some sort of resetting circuit allowing or stopping the charge to the batteries.
    Bad Battery Disconnect switch----converter issues---- something else----- or is this expected and normal.

Ken
    2020 310GK Solitude

RV4FUN

If you think the sound is coming from the disconnect I would try to isolate it from the system. The disconnect may not be making the required contact and therefore be arcing. This arcing would cause a clicking sound to be heard and this will also not be good.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

RV4FUN
      Hi Ken

My guess is that you are hearing an auto resetting circuit breaker. Four 6V batteries are going to draw a lot more current than the original wiring of the RV was sized for. As the batteries come up to full charge, they will draw less current allowing the circuit breaker to open less frequently. If this is the case, you may want to consider upsizing wiring and circuit breaker to match your upsized battery bank.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        RV4FUN
        Hi Ken

My guess is that you are hearing an auto resetting circuit breaker. Four 6V batteries are going to draw a lot more current than the original wiring of the RV was sized for. As the batteries come up to full charge, they will draw less current allowing the circuit breaker to open less frequently. If this is the case, you may want to consider upsizing wiring and circuit breaker to match your upsized battery bank.

Rob
        Appreciate the feedback.
        I have had the trailer 4 months.....in the prior 3+ months I have boondocked multiple times but only for 2 nights. I did not hear the clicking noise during any of those recharge times. I realize the batteries may not have been drawn down enough to cause the problem and that extra night may have been just enough to go over.
        I have crawled up into the front compartment and the noise is definitely coming from up higher on the board.....not down low by the 80 amp auto reset breaker. I also note the board which everything is mounted to will vibrate slightly (like someone popped a rubber band on it) when the clicking (popping) sound occurs and this vibration is up higher on the board.
        Just trying to isolate the issue and correct.
        Assuming I will need to upsize the wire size --
        1) is this only the wiring from the battery bank to the battery disconnect?
        2) can the battery disconnect be "upgraded" ?
        3) what auto reset breaker are you suggesting to be upgraded? And to what size?

I will be changing to Lithium at some point in 2021......should I consider making that leap now and just be done with it?
        Always appreciate the input and help I get from others who have been there before and are smarter than me.

Comment

RV4FUN
          I think the first step is to figure out exactly what is "clicking". I was just guessing that it might be a resetting circuit breaker, but if this does not appear to be the case, more investigation is required.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by RV4FUN View Post

Appreciate the feedback.
            I have had the trailer 4 months.....in the prior 3+ months I have boondocked multiple times but only for 2 nights. I did not hear the clicking noise during any of those recharge times. I realize the batteries may not have been drawn down enough to cause the problem and that extra night may have been just enough to go over.
            I have crawled up into the front compartment and the noise is definitely coming from up higher on the board.....not down low by the 80 amp auto reset breaker. I also note the board which everything is mounted to will vibrate slightly (like someone popped a rubber band on it) when the clicking (popping) sound occurs and this vibration is up higher on the board.
            Just trying to isolate the issue and correct.
            Assuming I will need to upsize the wire size --
            1) is this only the wiring from the battery bank to the battery disconnect?
            2) can the battery disconnect be "upgraded" ?
            3) what auto reset breaker are you suggesting to be upgraded? And to what size?

I will be changing to Lithium at some point in 2021......should I consider making that leap now and just be done with it?
            Always appreciate the input and help I get from others who have been there before and are smarter than me.
            I could be wrong...but isn't the 80A breaker part of the hydraulic pump motor circuit? Most GD units have a 30A breaker for the battery-to-Power Distribution Center, or PDC, (and WFCO Converter) circuit. In addition, most (larger) GD units have 6ga wiring from the battery to the PDC--which isn't a good match for an 80A breaker.

Click image for larger version  Name:	WIre.JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.1 KB ID:	25799

I don't know for a fact this is true on your coach, but if you follow the red wire from your battery to the first connection, I'll bet you'll find a 30A breaker. (I know from the Parts Lookup website that your coach has a 30A breaker, I just don't know where it is used. https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-support/parts/detail/844 )

However...I tend to doubt that the issue is a self-resetting circuit breaker whether it is 30A or 80A. If the breaker between the battery and coach was resetting the coach's 12v lights would flash off and back on, the thermostat would reset to "off", etc. None of those symptoms were listed in the original post.

Edit: On second thought the lights may not flash as the coach is getting 12v from the Converter--so Rob's diagnosis could be spot on.

If the problem is electrical in nature, do not minimize the risk involved. The "clicking" could be caused by a poor connection (which in turn generates heat). Something is not right. Keep investigating until the problem is found and fixed. If that means calling in a mobile mechanic or getting your dealer to look at it, please do so at the earliest opportunity.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Well.....I have to admit when I am wrong.
              I kept looking, feeling, and trying to locate the clicking noise.
              My best guess came to the auto reset breakers in the front storage near the batteries.
              So I was able to look at the 3 reset breakers and the top one is 15 AMP.....the bottom 2 are 30 amp.
              As I was only able to locate one 30 amp breaker locally at a rv parts store----- so I took a guess......and replaced the middle breaker as it had a lead out to the battery disconnect and that was what I thought was making the noise. Replaced it and left the rig un-plugged for 36 hours....plugged the shore power back in....and you guess it.....no more clicking or popping.
              Could it be as simple as the reset breaker leading to the battery disconnect was faulty.....
              I will be boondocking over the weekend of August 7......so I update after that weekend of use.
              thanks again for the help and assistance.
              Ken

Comment

Originally posted by RV4FUN View Post
                Well.....I have to admit when I am wrong.
                I kept looking, feeling, and trying to locate the clicking noise.
                My best guess came to the auto reset breakers in the front storage near the batteries.
                So I was able to look at the 3 reset breakers and the top one is 15 AMP.....the bottom 2 are 30 amp.
                As I was only able to locate one 30 amp breaker locally at a rv parts store----- so I took a guess......and replaced the middle breaker as it had a lead out to the battery disconnect and that was what I thought was making the noise. Replaced it and left the rig un-plugged for 36 hours....plugged the shore power back in....and you guess it.....no more clicking or popping.
                Could it be as simple as the reset breaker leading to the battery disconnect was faulty.....
                I will be boondocking over the weekend of August 7......so I update after that weekend of use.
                thanks again for the help and assistance.
                Ken
                Ken,
                The video below shows how a circuit breaker works. The trailer breaker resets itself, so when there is a persistent overload condition the breaker will continue to open ("click"), reset, open ("click")...

Leaving the camper unplugged for 36 hours doesn't by itself give the state of charge (SOC) of the battery bank or determine how much current was flowing from the converter to the battery bank when power was applied.

I'm no expert by any means, so my .02 may be worth the same: this issue requires more investigation to ensure the wiring, converter, circuit breaker, and battery bank are all suitably sized as a system. The easiest thing to do is add a Victron BMV-712 or SmartShunt so you can monitor the battery voltage and actual current flowing to/from the batteries. Victron is quite proud of their equipment and the price reflects that pride...but IMHO it's worth every penny.

If the Victron is not in the budget, check out an alternative reviewed by Will Prowse:

With the addition of a battery monitor you'll know what's going on in your camper's electrical system versus hoping everything is OK.

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I had a similar problem after returning from a Harvest Hosts stay in our 2018 303RLS. Turned out my 'click' was actually coming from the exterior speakers, even though the Furrion entertainment system was off. I pulled the 12V fuse on that circuit, and the clicking stopped. After re-inserting the fuse, everything was back to normal. Has not happened but the one time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    RV4FUNMy guess is that you are hearing an auto resetting circuit breaker. Four 6V batteries are going to draw a lot more current than the original wiring of the RV was sized for. As the batteries come up to full charge, they will draw less current allowing the circuit breaker to open less frequently. If this is the case, you may want to consider upsizing wiring and circuit breaker to match your upsized battery bank.
                    RV4FUN Rob is possibly the wisest person here (all due respect to all the other mods who I will praise in later messages ) but I have to interject that we too have four 6V batteries.

To install them I had to make mods that you may have made too, adding quality 2ga welding cables to install the batteries, quality junction blocks for positive and negative sides, and a quality 1 / 2 / 1+2 / Off battery switch that disconnects everything in the trailer from power.

Beyond those changes I haven't done anything, including leaving the OEM converter and its wiring to the batteries in place. I've never experienced what you're describing.

Your description of the noise coming from high on the back wall of the front compartment does make it seem as others have suggested that something is going wrong in your battery switch, and as Brian has said that could be really nasty. Tracking down the noise (with an automotive stethoscope if necessary) would be a high priority and I wouldn't be charging much until you've got it figured out.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52750-S...7253111&sr=8-2

Good luck.
                    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Working...
                    X