Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advisability of tapping power on the Motor Slide for a USB outlet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advisability of tapping power on the Motor Slide for a USB outlet?

Starting to plan out my mods.

Since we boondock alot, but still utilize our phones, I'm attempting to add some USB charging ports to our 2017 Imagine 2800BH.

We've identified 3 locations that are ideal for us. The Bed at the front (Tap off a light in the headboard), The empty cubbie next to the radio (Tap the radio power), and next to the couch.

On the wall next to the couch, is the control unit for the slide motors. If I tap the power (looks like a 8 or 10gauge wire) does anyone forsee any issues? I personally don't, but since slides are a new fangled thing for me, and I haven't ordered the parts yet, I figured I'd ask.
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Originally posted by mpking View Post
    On the wall next to the couch, is the control unit for the slide motors. If I tap the power (looks like a 8 or 10gauge wire) does anyone forsee any issues?
    Random thoughts...just trying to help.

A power related issue with the couch location? Probably not. The advantage of the bedroom and radio location are they don't move. I'm looking at a picture of your 2800BH's floorplan and either wall "next to the couch" is either going to move or have another wall slide past. I can foresee accidentally forgetting that a USB device is plugged in when the slide is retracted. (Same issue I have with where GD installed USB ports on the bedroom wall of my 315RLTS--not ideal.)

Another advantage of the bedroom area is your phones will be nearby during the night for storm alerts, etc.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Random thoughts...just trying to help.
      They are good random thoughts. There is about 3"-5" between the wall and the "slide wall". I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do the couch location. But it was probably the easiest of the 3 to wire up.
      Mike
      2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

I would not tap power from the slide motor. If the tap causes a problem and you do not have power to the motor you would have two problems , one of which would not be good. Tap a light circuit , if you lose a light no big deal.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
        X