2019 315RLTS Blue LED Front Cap "V" Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 315RLTS Blue LED Front Cap "V" Lights

Waxing my 315RLTS prior to departure and discovered the front "V" lights are heavily damaged. I suspect it's from road debris (this trailer has > 11K miles on it). One section is even completely detached from the front cap. I guess I didn't notice before because they still work. (One advantage to waxing the trailer--every inch gets inspected.)

One more thing on the "fix it" list after the upcoming trip. (I'll reattach the one disbonded section ASAP.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue V Lights 1.JPG
Views:	2440
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	2961

Name:	Blue V Lights 2.JPG
Views:	1586
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	2962

Note in the picture above and below how some of the LED strip's outer protective layer is gone in some areas!

Name:	Blue V Lights 3.JPG
Views:	1642
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	2963

-Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

What are you going to use to reattach it?

Comment

Originally posted by Retired Copper View Post
      What are you going to use to reattach it?
      What I've done is run blue painter's tape down both sides of the LED strip to protect the cap. Then I ran a very thin bead of silicone under the LED strip. Finally, I secured it in place with another strip of blue painter's tape over the assembly to hold it in place. It's drying now, so we'll see if it works or not. I'll know by later this afternoon.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Following for future reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired Copper View Post
          Following for future reference.
          As stated earlier, I taped down the sides of the lights (after cleaning the area vigorously with rubbing alcohol) and then gently ran a small bead of silicone under the disbonded section. I then taped over the top to hold it in place. Worked great--lights are bonded again to the camper.

Name:	DSCN5675 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1604
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	3030

I then tried to repair the missing clear cover that had come off the lights with silicone. That didn't work as well...it's protected but on close inspection looks terrible. :(

The picture below shows the clear cover has completely separated from the light. (I now realize that's UV damage. I should have regularly protected the light with applications of 303 protectant.)

Name:	DSCN5679 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1509
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	3031

Not the most elegant repair. It will protect the lights for now until I replace the lights. (That will be a job...the wires run under the cap.)

Name:	DSCN5683 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1463
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	3032

Any questions...fire away.

-Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

Good information for folks that will encounter the same problem. Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              Waxing my 315RLTS prior to departure and discovered the front "V" lights are heavily damaged. I suspect it's from road debris (this trailer has > 11K miles on it). One section is even completely detached from the front cap. I guess I didn't notice before because they still work. (One advantage to waxing the trailer--every inch gets inspected.)

One more thing on the "fix it" list after the upcoming trip. (I'll reattach the one disbonded section ASAP.)

Name:	Blue V Lights 1.JPG
Views:	2440
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	2961

Name:	Blue V Lights 2.JPG
Views:	1586
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	2962

Note in the picture above and below how some of the LED strip's outer protective layer is gone in some areas!

Name:	Blue V Lights 3.JPG
Views:	1642
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	2963

-Howard
              In your most personal and honest opinion . . . . .Do YOU think this will be an on-going issues with this type of lighting, or
              possibly yours may be a one-out (maybe two, etc.)?

This would be a deal breaker for my next RV since I already have an Imagine 2250RK with these lights?

Comment

Originally posted by marine6805 View Post

In your most personal and honest opinion . . . . .Do YOU think this will be an on-going issues with this type of lighting, or
                possibly yours may be a one-out (maybe two, etc.)?

This would be a deal breaker for my next RV since I already have an Imagine 2250RK with these lights?
                I'd rather not speculate if it will affect every camper with this type of lighting. What I do know is when I replace the lights I will treat them with 303 protectant every time I wash the unit. I'm pretty sure the damage was caused by UV exposure (I live in Florida).

With all the issues associated with owning an RV this is so minor it would not affect my buying decision. (But these lights would be the first thing I'd tell GD to drop if they needed to remove something so they could add an item with real value, like a larger bathroom sink!)

Howard & Francine

Comment

howson Did you ever replace your cap lights or know of any one who has? I was doing an inspection and it actually looks like the protective cover on mine has melted… not sure how and have not done a voltage test yet. First step is seeing what the replacement process looks like. Will then look at voltage to figure out why this has happened, then replace.
                  Scott & Mikaela
                  2022 375 RES
                  2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by Sandridge4 View Post
                    howson Did you ever replace your cap lights or know of any one who has? I was doing an inspection and it actually looks like the protective cover on mine has melted… not sure how and have not done a voltage test yet. First step is seeing what the replacement process looks like. Will then look at voltage to figure out why this has happened, then replace.
                    It's due to the exposure to the sun (at least in my case) here in NW Florida.

Replacing the LED strips is easy. Just make sure and replace one wire at a time with the new strip. If both wires are cut and they fall into the cap...it will be very hard to recover them.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Working...
                    X