LED taillight add-on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED taillight add-on

I used two 15" LED multi-function stop/turn light bars on a piece of 1.5" angle iron to make some additional taillights. This is a simple non-invasive (no drilling holes in the trailer) way to get a little more attention when making a turn. The receiver hitch on the Reflection provides a good means of securing the bar, and I don't feel it's going to interfere with my bike rack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4863.JPG
Views:	858
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	31227
    Attached Files
    2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Hi Lonestar. Did you use the 4-pin connection provided with the hitch on the Reflection for operating the lights? It also looks like you used another piece of angle iron beneath the hitch to "clamp" the top piece with the lights using the two bolts through the chain holes. Would carriage bolts work and have you experienced much vibration on the lights when traveling?
    Mark & Ellen
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 RAM 3500 Mega Cab SRW

Comment

Originally posted by MAW7228 View Post
      Hi Lonestar. Did you use the 4-pin connection provided with the hitch on the Reflection for operating the lights? It also looks like you used another piece of angle iron beneath the hitch to "clamp" the top piece with the lights using the two bolts through the chain holes. Would carriage bolts work and have you experienced much vibration on the lights when traveling?
      Yes, I used the provided 4 pin connector. I had to slightly relocate it because it was hitting the angle iron. I mounted it to the bottom of the square tubing that holds the receiver, and reversed it so it faces the front of the trailer. You are exactly right about the second piece of angle iron on the bottom. The bolts are 3/8" X 4 1/2" and go through the chain holes. Carriage bolts would work if you wanted to fabricate a square hole for them. The hex head seem to be fine and I may find some stainless steel bolts to replace them if this arrangement works out. I considered tacking them to the top piece of angle iron but the bolts really need to move around to get them through the bottom holes.

I just put it on this afternoon so I have no idea about the vibration. I don't know how I would know unless it comes loose or it's obvious it has moved around. It is surprisingly rock solid the way it is, but I could always add a support on each end and stabilize it to that square tubing I mentioned above.

2020 Reflection 273MK
      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Got it. Thanks. By the way, can you send me a link for the lights? I would like to add this to my list of RV projects which continues to grow. Retired the end of July and my time is now spent tinkering with the RV. Drives the wife crazy but keeps me out of trouble
        Mark & Ellen
        2020 Reflection 337RLS
        2019 RAM 3500 Mega Cab SRW

Comment

Something that you might want to also consider is replacing the OEM taillights with much larger and brighter lights. This gets the improvement up higher on the back of the trailer than lights at the hitch level. Use the search tool in the upper right corner on “Bargman” (the name of the light manufacturer) for discussions and pictures of this (relatively easy to install) alternative.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by MAW7228 View Post
            Got it. Thanks. By the way, can you send me a link for the lights? I would like to add this to my list of RV projects which continues to grow. Retired the end of July and my time is now spent tinkering with the RV. Drives the wife crazy but keeps me out of trouble
            These are the lights I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Very similar to the way I used the same lights to get lights out past the bikes on my rack.Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=23761.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	31296

John & Kathy
              2014 Reflection 303RLS
              2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Mr. Wilson,

Very nice, you did a great job.. I assume you remove the rack when not in use. My lights will be out in the weather so hope they are really waterproof.

I've seen a module you can put in-line with the +12vdc break light wire that will cause the lights to blink three times when the brakes are applied, warning the driver behind you that braking is about to take place. Wish I could remember where I saw it.
                2020 Reflection 273MK
                2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                  Mr. Wilson...
                  HEY MR. WILSON!!!!!!!!!! lol (In all seriousness, all of the moderators appreciate your contributions to this forum, Jkwilson !)

Click image for larger version

Name:	JK.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	31342
                  !
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Mr. Wilson,

Very nice, you did a great job.. I assume you remove the rack when not in use. My lights will be out in the weather so hope they are really waterproof.

I've seen a module you can put in-line with the +12vdc break light wire that will cause the lights to blink three times when the brakes are applied, warning the driver behind you that braking is about to take place. Wish I could remember where I saw it.
                    Installed the pulsing modules in mine. Very attention getting.
                    John & Kathy
                    2014 Reflection 303RLS
                    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

HEY MR. WILSON!!!!!!!!!! lol (In all seriousness, all of the moderators appreciate your contributions to this forum, Jkwilson !)

!

Sorry. I meant no disrespect.
                      2020 Reflection 273MK
                      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Sorry. I meant no disrespect.
                        None taken
                        John & Kathy
                        2014 Reflection 303RLS
                        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I found a pulsing module on Amazon. I think I'll add it to my lightbar. Seems to be some question as to it's being legal in some states, but since it will be confined to the lightbar, and not the trailer's tail lights, I doubt it would ever be a question. Besides..........I don't think I would ever want to go to a state that didn't allow a few light pulses.
                          2020 Reflection 273MK
                          2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

I found a pulsing module on Amazon. I think I'll add it to my lightbar. Seems to be some question as to it's being legal in some states, but since it will be confined to the lightbar, and not the trailer's tail lights, I doubt it would ever be a question. Besides..........I don't think I would ever want to go to a state that didn't allow a few light pulses.
                            I've used a brake light modulator on my motorcycle for decades. The modulator only flashes a few times, though, and then stops. In fact it rapidly pulses at the start and then slows down until it quits. Suggest finding something similar--if the lights continually pulse with the brakes applied you're bound to attract "unwanted" attention. (Even the modulator I have on the bike is technically illegal, but I've never been hassled about it.)

If you want to see what this actually looks like, go to ~11:00 mark in the video below. (Obviously you can't install the exact same kit on a trailer that I put in my Goldwing but this will show the results that has worked well for me.)

Last edited by howson; 10-08-2020, 06:47 AM.
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

That looks great on the motorcycle. Actually the one I want for the lightbar flashes rapidly for three pulses then stays on solid. I don't want to attract too much attention, just make it mildly obvious I am braking.
                              2020 Reflection 273MK
                              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                              X