Delayed electrical start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delayed electrical start

When the RV hasn't been plugged in to power and I do start it, there is a delay of power for a minute or two. Is this normal?
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
    ... and I do start it...
    Could you clarify this statement, please? What do you mean by "start it"? Please give a specific example, step-by-step.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

At a pedestal in a park, after checking things with my surge protector, I attach the power cord and there is a delay of a minute or two before items like the AC will start. Same at the house when I energize from the power source there.
      Bill & Cindy
      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
      SE Texas

Comment

My Progressive Industries EMS will delay for a short time (136s) in order to perform a systems check. After the system is checked and no issues are detected, the contactor will close and power will be supplied to the rig.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
          My Progressive Industries EMS will delay for a short time (136s) in order to perform a systems check. After the system is checked and no issues are detected, the contactor will close and power will be supplied to the rig.

Jim
          Jim, that is likely what it is now that I think about it. I use the same EMS and if I don't plug it in to go though the check when I first get to a site, it delays. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.
          Bill & Cindy
          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
          SE Texas

Comment

Once you plug in the EMS, if you look at the lower right corner of the display (I think it’s the lower right), you will see a blinking light. As long as that light is on, the system is checking things and there is no power being passed through the unit. The display looks normal, except for the one blinking indicator. Once it has completed the system checks, you will hear a fairly loud click, and the blinker will go out. At that time, you should have power through the unit. You should also have all of the cords fully hooked up by that point, or you will be plugging into a “hot” power source, which isn’t good for your cord.

I usually turn off the breaker, then plug in the EMS and turn the breaker back on, looking at the voltage, Hertz, E-codes, etc. That’s the first thing I do when I back into a site. If there are any power issues, I want to know first-thing, so that I haven’t unhooked if we need to move.

Once satisfied, I turn the breaker back off and plug in the cord to the EMS and the trailer. Breaker is turned back on and while the system is running a full check, I put the chocks in place and position the blocks for the landing gear and stabilizers. Since I am in the general area, I can hear the system “click” and I then check for hot skin and move on.
            Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
            Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
            2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
            Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
            Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

The hardwired EMS does the same thing. When I plug in and turn on breaker there is a delay and then I hear the sound of the connection being made and then there is power.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
              X