Lithium Battery Storage and Extended Life Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium Battery Storage and Extended Life Techniques

For those that are new to Lithium technology its important to know how to increase the life span of your expensive lithium batteries.

Lithium batteries like to be kept at the 50% SOC charge levels. As a result, the best use case would be to utilize your batteries at around the 80% to 20% SOC range. Some will find this to be a bit of an inconvenience and may adjust the range of their batteries and that's fine, but your cycle life will be shortened. As an example, if you are allowing the battery to completely discharge and allow the BMS to shut the battery down, this may prevent unrecoverable damage but you would still be significantly shortening the life of the battery. Over time, this would result in dendrite formation in the cells.

As with most electronics, heat kills and lithium batteries are no exception. To charge in high heat will also shorten the life of a lithium battery as well as at high C ratings. So to charge at 0.5C or lower will also increase the life span of your expensive investment. This also applies to discharging. I like to say, lithium batteries will live the longest if kept at temperatures we ourselves find comfortable.

For those will solar systems, its best to store your system at 50% SOC. After a trip, charge or discharge your batteries to 50% SOC and shut the solar system down. You will be amazed at how long your batteries will sit at 50% SOC. With all power disconnected ( I leave my BMV712 turned on) this charge level will last well beyond winter storage as an example.

Having worked for years off and on with hybrid vehicle applications, and with several battery types has helped me to understand how to extend the life span of my lithium battery. I hope this helps you as well.

Jim

Guest -- Battle Born agrees! From https://battlebornbatteries.com/faq/

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB Recommendation.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	39327
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson

Howard,

Looking back at your initial statement, I'm glad BB agrees....sort of. BB used to recommend the 100% SOC for storage and I called them on this where I'm not sure this is what made them change their minds or not.

While I still somewhat disagree with even this statement where they claim "at least 50%", the real value is 50% SOC. Some have also ran experiments and will claim 40% SOC for storage in being the sweet spot but this may also depend on the battery they tested. The point is a lithium battery will have increased life if stored at its midpoint.

Jim
      Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2021, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X