BMV 712 setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMV 712 setup

I did receive my BMV712 and have the option of midpoint battery monitoring. Have 2 group 27 AGM in parallel. Should I add midpoint monitoring with my setup?
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Vivian,

Other folks may have a different opinion but I would not use it. The midpoint voltage may help to identify a battery going bad where in theory each battery would have the total voltage/2 in a dual battery setup. There can also be small differences between the batteries under normal operation so it may not be worth worrying about.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
      Vivian,

Other folks may have a different opinion but I would not use it. The midpoint voltage may help to identify a battery going bad where in theory each battery would have the total voltage/2 in a dual battery setup. There can also be small differences between the batteries under normal operation so it may not be worth worrying about.

Jim
      I was thinking along same lines.

Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper
        I agree with Jim. There's no need to measure the midpoint in your two-battery configuration. I suggest choosing the temperature option to display in the app.

howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          Beachcamper
          I agree with Jim. There's no need to measure the midpoint in your two-battery configuration. I suggest choosing the temperature option to display in the app.

howard
          Thanks guys it’s settled, no midpoint monitoring. Having more alarms to deal with was worrying. Howard, I see no temperature option maybe it’s an extra part did not purchase. Will check instructions again tomorrow. Only got two power cables for dual monitoring.

Vivian
          2018 Reflection 303rls
          Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

Thanks guys it’s settled, no midpoint monitoring. Having more alarms to deal with was worrying. Howard, I see no temperature option maybe it’s an extra part did not purchase. Will check instructions again tomorrow. Only got two power cables for dual monitoring.
            That's a bummer--I thought it came with it. Monitoring the temp of the batteries is a nice-to-have feature, but not critical.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Cable.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	41983

From the manual...

Click image for larger version

Name:	temp manual.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	41984
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

I ordered BMV 712 standard model. This one has the temp sensor for $20 more. Since I did not go with lithium and would NEVER be in freezing temps on purpose, thought I would not need it. But if you think it’s a must have, I can add it later, it takes place of the second battery monitor I won’t be using.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Batte...ef_=ast_sto_dp
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                I ordered BMV 712 standard model. This one has the temp sensor for $20 more. Since I did not go with lithium and would NEVER be in freezing temps on purpose, thought I would not need it. But if you think it’s a must have, I can add it later.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
                Not essential IMO. More of a "gee whiz" feature in the usage scenario presented, so your rationale makes sense.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Not essential IMO. More of a "gee whiz" feature in the usage scenario presented, so your rationale makes sense.
                  I agree, it is not essential. If you also have the Victron solar charger then the temp sensor on the 712 will communicate with it to adjust charging voltages, but unless you upgrade to Lithium you won't gain much benefit from it. The only reason I considered the temp sensor was to fill the empty "temperature" box on the app.
                  Jim
                  2021 Solitude 310GK
                  2020 Ford F350 SRW Lariat, 6.7 Powerstroke

Comment

Working...
                  X