Ems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    The portable EMS is not needed for a 15amp home power source or with a generator. I used to be somewhat concerned about theft but then again, I've never locked it to the pedestal.

Jim
    Just to be on the safe side, I even use my Progressive unit when plugged in at home. In western PA, there can be a lot of lightning, and a tree behind us took a direct hit a few years ago. We’ve had surges that took out light bulbs in the house, so I don’t want to think about what could happen to the stuff in the trailer, as I keep it plugged in all the time when at home, and use a 20-amp circuit with a heavy 25’ cord. We run the small front AC (set to 85) when the temps get high, just to keep things cooler inside.
    Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

I have the portable one . . . for exactly the reason you describe. But . . . after buying this, I learned (through the experience of another forum member) that this location misses an important part of the connection . . . the power cord and its connection to the trailer. The EMS can only see problems upstream. As it turned out, the cord to trailer connection lost the neutral which caused the L1 to L2 voltage to damage several appliances in the trailer. The EMS at the post showed that shore power was correct. Bottom line . . . The on-board unit can see everything feeding the panel. To buy this again, I would choose the hardwired version.

Rob
      Rob, I hadn’t thought about this issue, but I spent some time thinking it through while mowing today. My mower seat analysis led me to think that an EMS should be able to detect an open neutral downstream pretty easily, and then I got to wondering if any of them actually do. Turns out at least one product does so, or at least claims to. The Southwire 34951 lists “RV-Side Open Neutral Protection” as a feature. May make that one worthy of consideration for a portable unit.

John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

The portable Power Watchdog EPO 50A says it detects RV open neutral. I think OffToHavasu mentioned this awhile back.
        PWD50-EPO https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50-epo/
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Watchdog EPO - Neutral.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	52005

Interesting that NEC 2020 added new residential house service load centers will require surge protection device (SPD)
        "Article 230.67 now mandates services supplying dwelling units shall be provided with a surge protective device (SPD) as an integral part of equipment or located immediately adjacent, either Type 1 or Type 2 SPD." https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/compa...rotection.html

I'd added 2 below my house load center years ago. They're SPD Type 2
        So long ago I'd forgotten the type..Sentrex / Legrand PB120T
        Gene and Kim
        2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
        2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
          The portable Power Watchdog EPO 50A says it detects RV open neutral. I think OffToHavasu mentioned this awhile back.
          PWD50-EPO https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50-epo/
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Power Watchdog EPO - Neutral.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.0 KB ID:	52005

Interesting that NEC 2020 added new residential house service load centers will require surge protection device (SPD)
          "Article 230.67 now mandates services supplying dwelling units shall be provided with a surge protective device (SPD) as an integral part of equipment or located immediately adjacent, either Type 1 or Type 2 SPD." https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/compa...rotection.html

I'd added 2 below my house load center years ago. They're SPD Type 2
          So long ago I'd forgotten the type..Sentrex / Legrand PB120T
          I purchased the portable Surge Guard 34951 50 amp protector with the Bluetooth display. It will look for an open neutral up stream and down stream, that's why I went with that model. I've been very pleased with it and the remote display.

So far, everywhere we've been the power has been very "clean". But, it's good insurance to have. It was one of those accessories I purchased before the trailer even arrived. Another one of "THOSE" accessories I bought when we ordered the trailer and received the eye-roll combined with, 'You spent how much on something we don't have yet?" Wait until she sees the lithium bill next year. LOL.

And you're correct on the surge protectors...more breaker space too. Panels are filling up so fast now. Pretty soon, houses are going to have to have a dedicated electrical rooms with full wall panels.

My parents new house that was just built has a 400 amp service, with a sub panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200724_091137.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	52032Click image for larger version

Name:	20200724_091024.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	52033
          Last edited by OffToHavasu; 04-27-2021, 11:14 AM.
          Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
          2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
          2020 Momentum 351M
          2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

I am a portable guy. I am on my 4th ems in 10 years. Some just quit, some get toasted. I just read about the bluetooth one, I would like to have that but will wait until the next replacement. I have to go outside to read the LED for errors and such.

I have disconnected my EMS from time to time and still used the electricity provided, such as the case right now where V drop to 108. I had a GFI supply post that would not work with the EMS. Now that I think about it, it was not the EMS that was tripping it, but my supply cord. My new supply cord has little LED lights showing power on each leg, I am not electrical smart enough to know if that tripped the GFI on the post or not, but when I went to my back up cord it didn't trip. That was the only place I have seen a 30 amp GFI plug.

I don't know how it all works but I have tester thingy's that tell me when it isn't right. At least I am aware when I take a risk.

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
            2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
            E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
            Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Working...
            X