Bedroom lights not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedroom lights not working

Our 2016 Grand Design 315rlts trailer bedroom light stopped working, and also at the same time the light in the closet stopped working. They both worked, then minutes later they wouldn't turn on. The circuit breaker appears to be all on. Suggestions?

these lights are on 12v fuses. Double check there next.

Comment

TNFSolitude, The light in the circuit breaker box is on to indicate all okay. Would that include the fuses too? If so, the fuse is not the problem. Could a light have burned out and shorted out that circuit or something?

Comment

Originally posted by ncford View Post
        TNFSolitude, The light in the circuit breaker box is on to indicate all okay. Would that include the fuses too? If so, the fuse is not the problem. Could a light have burned out and shorted out that circuit or something?
        If a red LED near the 12v fuses in the power center is on, that indicates a blown fuse. The LED will be beside the blown fuse to let you know which one needs replacing. Unless the light you are referring to is a different indicator light. I believe the power center in our unit only has fuse indicators...
        Last edited by StephenO; 06-30-2021, 12:48 PM.
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

I would even check the fuses even if the indicator light is or is not lit , I have had a blown or bad fuse and the indicator light did not function. Also the lights are probably in a chain configuration , power to one light then on to the next and so on. If there is a bad connection or loose wire at one of the lights in the chain the rest of the lights past that will not work. Dropping the lights that do not work and checking for power and good connections is a good place to look as well.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Our 2016 Grand Design 315rlts trailer bedroom light stopped working, and also at the same time the light in the closet stopped working. They both worked, then minutes later they wouldn't turn on. The circuit breaker appears to be all on. Suggestions?
            Which bedroom light--the ones in the ceiling or the ones in the cabinets (over your head when lying in bed)?

I think Brian's input regarding a connection is probably what you'll find (eventually). Sounds like a similar problem I documented here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-inop-easy-fix
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

About Bedroom lights not working
              The overhead bedroom light which has a switch on the wall below the bedroom AC control is one that isn't working. The other is in the top of the closet with the on/off switch on that fixture. We did not check the blue light in the closet or anything else. We were in the process of leaving our RV and did not fully check out all possible solutions or problems. We do not have the RV with us to check it out right now, as we left it in dry-dock at the campground. We are trying to check on whether you all thought it might be the lights themselves, the switch on the wall or an electrical problem before we go back. Thank you for your input.

Comment

About Bedroom lights not working
                The overhead bedroom light which has a switch on the wall below the bedroom AC control is one that isn't working. The other is in the top of the closet with the on/off switch on that fixture. We did not check the blue light in the closet or anything else. We were in the process of leaving our RV and did not fully check out all possible solutions or problems. We do not have the RV with us to check it out right now, as we left it in dry-dock at the campground. We are trying to check on whether you all thought it might be the lights themselves, the switch on the wall or an electrical problem before we go back. Thank you for your input.
                I didn't see this before responding to your PM.

First--please--if you're not sure about working with electricity consider consulting a qualified RV technician or electrician. Not worth a trip to the Emergency Room or damaging your RV.

With that caveat (sorry--I don't know your knowledge/experience!) the first place I'd look is at the bedroom switch itself. In the picture below the two orange wires is where power comes in (and branches to the next circuit). The output of the switch (gray/white wire) is where power goes to the overhead lights.

The bundle of white wires with the red wire twist cap are the returns (or "grounds").

Using a multimeter, between the orange and solid white wires (the "bundle") there should be 12v. From the white/gray to the "bundle" should be 12v when the switch is on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wires in bedroom.JPG
Views:	652
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	59411
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                X