Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RV Electrical Safety ("Total Power Protection" Changing Lanes Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OffToHavasu

Hi Curtis,

Well . . . you taught me something new today! Not the first time that has happened .

I did not know about autotransformers. I thought that all transformers were double wound. Would the NEC allow a double wound, adjustable step up transformer? I wonder if anyone makes an affordable one of these?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Too be honest, I've never looked.
      Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
      2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
      2020 Momentum 351M
      2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

A question.

Could the Auto Former be hard wired into the RV? In line just like the PI protector. Would it be a safety hazard?

Sorry that was two questions.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Some more information I found out about Surge Guard. The new model 34951 now protects up to 4200 jewels.

There are things I'd like to point out why I (yes personal preference) like the Sureguard plug in model vs. Progressive Industries vs. hardwired.

In another location, a long time ago, a member had a problem with electronics frying inside the camper. Signs pointed to an open neutral. But the argument was a plug in type protection unit was used at the pedestal and there was no indication of an open neutral. System checked out fine according to the protection unit. After some time and research, guess what...Open neutral. But how can that be? The device said everything was fine. Well the the open neutral was at the RV/power cord connection. The device doesn't measure down stream, only the line (feed).

Ok, now the argument became, well put a hardwired unit in, then you are protected from that event. I had mentioned before over there, and will mention it again. I do not like surge protection IN the trailer. When/if it goes bang, IT GOES BANG. I'd much prefer that being outside, away from the trailer.

In comes the Surge Guard 34950, and now the 34951. As mentioned in the video, it sees upstream and downstream. AND it's outside. The remote display with the 51 is a nice added feature.

So there you have it. My unwanted .02
          Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
          2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
          2020 Momentum 351M
          2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
          X