Patio Awning Garage switch blows fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patio Awning Garage switch blows fuse

2020 397 - Almost every time I use the garage manual switch, I blow the 15 amp fuse. However, when i use the one Control App or the touch screen, I never blow the fuse. Any thoughts/ ideas? I already contacted GD and the disagreed with my idea to switch to a 20 amp fuse and said "take it to a dealer"... Not likely.
    2020 Momentum 397TH - 2019 Ram 3500 - ICON Golf Cart 40L - 1200 watts solar - 600 amps battery

Have you pulled the switch to check the wire connections on the back?

I would guess either the switch or the wiring from the switch to the motor. I am not sure if the One Control uses the same wiring or not to power the motor.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yes I pulled the switch and found nothing obvious. I did note that both the switch and the main panel have all the brass connections "bent" in order to have enough room to install in the wall. That doesn't seem to be the problem though. I'm going to order a new switch, install it and see if that works. If not, then replace the main panel. If that doesn't work - then it would have to be the wiring - which I will have to take to the darn dealer to figure out. Thanks
      Attached Files
      2020 Momentum 397TH - 2019 Ram 3500 - ICON Golf Cart 40L - 1200 watts solar - 600 amps battery

Comment

Before buying a new switch I almost want to have you remove the wires from the switch and jump between them to see if the fuse still blows , but this may cause a issue with the One Control. The electric gremlins are the worst , in my opinion, to figure out. There may be a damaged wire behind the wall or somewhere between the switch and the motor that would be a pain to find and fix.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yea, right now I just need to use OC or the touch screen and have plenty of 15 amp fuses, until I can get back to home base before I take a chance to screw it up further. I was hoping someone else had the same issue...Seems like all my issues are "first time for anyone issues" ... sad..

Comment

CaptDan

I assume by "when I use the garage manual switch..." you're referencing a light?

In your Momentum, the OneControl board is the X4. The X4, besides the digital link to the OCTP, has many discrete (manual) input options, too. With the OCTP a digital command is sent over the CANBUS to control a device. With a manual switch, a discrete signal is sent to the X4. It doesn't matter if the command to turn on (or off) the device is digital or discrete--if the device works fine with one or the other the output circuitry is good because the X4 uses the same output to control the device, regardless of which input is used. (If the output of the X4 was bad neither would work.)

Since I haven't had the chance to get my hands on a OneControl setup, I (still) don't know if the discrete input is +12vDC or ground.

If you're familiar (and have) a multimeter there's a few measurements at the switch that will help with the troubleshooting. Holler back if you have the meter and want to do some further testing.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by CaptDan View Post
              2020 397 - Almost every time I use the garage manual switch, I blow the 15 amp fuse. However, when i use the one Control App or the touch screen, I never blow the fuse. Any thoughts/ ideas? I already contacted GD and the disagreed with my idea to switch to a 20 amp fuse and said "take it to a dealer"... Not likely.
              If yours is like mine there is a wall plate on the inside wall of the trailer where the wires go from inside wall through to leg of awning. The connection in the "hole" was bad on mine, maybe yours is shorting on alum frame or edge of awning leg or??.
              Jim (& Sharon)
              2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
              2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
              The toys:
              2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
              2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Howard - I have a volt meter. As I said, I usually blow the fuse when I use the wall panel switch for the rear awning. That switch is a stand alone switch. However, I'm thinking that it is also blowing when
                I use the rear patio switch (which is on the multi switch panel). Those are the only two devices that are also controlled by the One Control. I'm holding off doing too much tinkering with the wiring or testing the
                switches since I'm down to 2 15 amp fuses. I blew 3 just tinkering. Hopefully we can get into town in a couple days and get some more.

Comment

Jim: I will check the wiring where it runs outside - thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptDan View Post
                    Howard - I have a volt meter. As I said, I usually blow the fuse when I use the wall panel switch for the rear awning. That switch is a stand alone switch. However, I'm thinking that it is also blowing when
                    I use the rear patio switch (which is on the multi switch panel). Those are the only two devices that are also controlled by the One Control. I'm holding off doing too much tinkering with the wiring or testing the
                    switches since I'm down to 2 15 amp fuses. I blew 3 just tinkering. Hopefully we can get into town in a couple days and get some more.
                    OK, so when manually commanding the rear awning to extend or retract the fuse blows. That makes sense based on the switch in your earlier picture. The gray wire is the "signal" (12vDC?) and the white wires go to the extend and retract inputs on the X4 board.

I'll further assume the fuse is blowing whether you're retracting or extending? That leads me to believe the problem is in the gray wire. The white wires go to separate (discrete) inputs on the X4 board.

If you can get a measurement without too much trouble, measure for voltage across the bundled gray wires and to either of the white wires. Is there anything? (The switch should stay in the neutral, or "off", position while checking for voltage.)
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I think you are saying that the grey wires are fed to/from 12v direct and the whites is One Control box. Will measure when I get the chance and get back to you. Hopefully in a couple days with more spare 15 amp fuses. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X