Green In-Line Fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green In-Line Fuse

After finishing the 7-pin harness upgrade, and installing some backup lights--(they came out really cool), I was cleaning up the 12+ positive terminal block on my 200MK....

What is the green in-line fuse? Its protecting a ~10 AWG red wire coming down from the box?
    - Eric P. (2021 Transcend XPLOR 200MK)

epearce I think we might need a little more info (maybe a picture?) about where exactly you are talking about. A guess would be that is a charging line to the batteries, possibly from the on board converter (assuming you are working near your batteries).

Dave
    Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
    2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
    Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Its that green one, spliced into the red wire with that closed in crimp. The red wire comes through the floor, the other end of the in-line fuse goes to one of the 12V posts. It was tucked into the 7-pin harness junction box just for protection, it does not wire into the 7-pin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Junction Box.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	68794

Comment

Maybe the "Solar" plug? (if there is one)
        Jim (& Sharon)
        2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
        2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
        The toys:
        2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
        2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by epearce View Post
          Its that green one, spliced into the red wire with that closed in crimp. The red wire comes through the floor, the other end of the in-line fuse goes to one of the 12V posts. It was tucked into the 7-pin harness junction box just for protection, it does not wire into the 7-pin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Junction Box.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	68794
          Just a guess here... tongue jack?
          Ken & Sandra
          2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Originally posted by KSC_Travels View Post

I was going to guess the same thing . . . since there is a similar fuse holder for the landing gear on our "pre-auto levelling" 5th wheel.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Nope, the tongue jack power goes directly out to the jack from the +12V, and has an inline fuse about half way out there. The green fuse is on some 10 AWG power going up through the floor. Solar? Power from the AC Converter?

Comment

When trying to trace out Ethernet network cables in the nest, one way to find out where something is connected to is to simply disconnect the cable. Although you really need to be careful doing that, don't want to take critical services or servers down .

Anyways, have you tried just pulling the fuse and see what stops working / receiving power?
                2019 Imagine 2400BH
                2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

When trying to trace out Ethernet network cables in the nest, one way to find out where something is connected to is to simply disconnect the cable. Although you really need to be careful doing that, don't want to take critical services or servers down .

Anyways, have you tried just pulling the fuse and see what stops working / receiving power?
                  I have thought of that. I had it disconnected when I replaced the closed end wire nut with a in-line crimp connector... it is carrying current even though I did not have much of a load on in the trailer at the time. But if its either the 12+ charging from the Converter, or the Solar Controller, nothing obvious will just stop working. Maybe its the main 12+ line input into the converter/power distribution, that would stop working.

There really should be a page in the manual documenting the location and function of all the little hidden in-line fuses scattered all over the trailer.

Comment

epearce have you figured it out?

I spent a few hours tracing all the power wires between the converter and the tongue, and for the life of me can't understand what this wire feeds.

I made a diagram of what I found. This is the only wire I couldn't trace. It's the one with the question mark, the same fuse you're talking about:

Click image for larger version  Name:	12V wiring.png Views:	0 Size:	1,015.6 KB ID:	74842

I pulled the fuse and nothing seems to be off.
                    Attached Files
                    2021 Transcend 247BH

Comment

AndrewSmith -- as outlined in the Welcome Letter, it is helpful to have the trailer's VIN available in the forum profile. Many times the Moderators are advocating or doing stuff for members "behind the scenes" but without information it is a harder (or slower) process.

Don't mean to "call you out"--just a gentle reminder for all the readers of this thread. Link to the "How To" here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...ofile-a-how-to

Also--the "double stud" in your drawing...are you sure that's not a 30A self-resetting circuit breaker?

Click image for larger version  Name:	self reset.JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	74849

Howard
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

AndrewSmith Andrew, the green fused 30A you are saying changes to a red and white? Have you checked the Refrigerator? Some of the refrigerators have dual feeds, one behind the battery disconnect that powers the control board, and a higher amp load one that controls everything else.

BTW, nice diagram.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

AndrewSmith and epearce -- the fuse holder in the picture should have a 30A fuse inside and is part of the Transcend's solar prep (all Transcend models). Given where this fuse is, the other end would go to the output of a solar controller (the side that goes to the battery). If you don't have a solar setup of course nothing will stop working when the fuse is pulled.

If you do NOT have a solar setup I'd remove the fuse--otherwise there's a "live" 12V wire somewhere. It will be capped or taped, but I'd still take the extra step of removing the fuse.

Howard
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            AndrewSmith Andrew, the green fused 30A you are saying changes to a red and white? Have you checked the Refrigerator? Some of the refrigerators have dual feeds, one behind the battery disconnect that powers the control board, and a higher amp load one that controls everything else.

BTW, nice diagram.
                            That was it, thanks! Tested by pulling the fuse and/or turning off the battery disconnect switch. Strange that the fridge is not behind the battery disconnect switch. The cable would have been shorter. I wonder if maybe that switch isn't rated for enough amps to handle the fridge as well. Good thing I found this now instead of ending up with a destroyed battery or a fridge full of rotten food.

the fuse holder in the picture should have a 30A fuse inside and is part of the Transcend's solar prep (all Transcend models). Given where this fuse is, the other end would go to the output of a solar controller (the side that goes to the battery). If you don't have a solar setup of course nothing will stop working when the fuse is pulled.
                            Interestingly if I look at the diagrams in the manual for the fridge and the manual for the solar charger (which I do have): this should have definitely been the output of the solar charger.

Instead I cannot find a fuse for either the input or the output of the solar charger. Maybe they're hiden somewhere else. And the fridge was supposed to have a 15A, not a 30A fuse.
                            2021 Transcend 247BH

Comment

Working...
                            X