Lithium Battery Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium Battery Upgrade

I'd like to replace my single AGM house battery with a single 100AH lithium. Probably a Chins or a Renogy. We have a 2019 29RS which currently has a 55AMP WFCO Converter (ModelWF-9855). I realize its not designed for lithium, but will it work properly with the new battery. I do plan on replacing the converter at a later date. Based on our camping habits, I don't see us getting into solar any time soon. We just need more reliable power for overnight stops. Thank You all...

The stock charger will charge the lithium battery just not to 100%. To get the best results from the lithium battery a lithium converter/charger is recommended. I have a thread here with my upgrade that you may find useful.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Do you know how much charge you can get? 80 or 90%?

Comment

From my understanding that is what you will get. Other more experienced owners will help more with that.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank You Brian. By the way, based on our conversation last spring I bought a kit and some Pex in case I have a water issue like you did in your shower. Thanks for helping me be prepared...

Comment

I recently installed lithium batteries in my 25G.
            It also has a 55 amp WFCO converter. From actual experience, I have never gotten more than 2 amps charge from the converter even with no other 12v loads running. The lithium battery voltage never went below 13.12 volts even down to 42 %. I believe that the stock converter sees it as a charged lead acid battery and stays in float mode. I bought a lithium charger that I plug in separately until I get around to swapping it out.
            2021 Momentum 25G
            2018 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn
            2009 Honda VTX 1300T

Comment

Originally posted by Teamjd View Post
              I recently installed lithium batteries in my 25G.
              It also has a 55 amp WFCO converter. From actual experience, I have never gotten more than 2 amps charge from the converter even with no other 12v loads running. The lithium battery voltage never went below 13.12 volts even down to 42 %. I believe that the stock converter sees it as a charged lead acid battery and stays in float mode. I bought a lithium charger that I plug in separately until I get around to swapping it out.
              I see the same thing with mine (100Ah LiFePO4 and WFCO9855). I kinda' get around this with my solar charger. The solar controller kicks into bulk charge at 13.2V - so the battery get's topped up by solar once the WFCO goes into float (when the battery drops to 13.2V).

Just for info - I found their "Theory of Operation" on the WFCO website. Based on this the converter/charger monitors current (amps) draw and adjusts its output accordingly. It may not be sensing enough current draw to kick into bulk (14.4V) or absorption (13.6V) and as you say is sitting at float (13.2V).

I have been thinking about swapping out my converter as well - but so far with the solar topping up I don't have an urgent need.
              Ken & Sandra
              2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Sorry - link didn't work properly... here is the "Theory of Operation" document - WFCO-Theory-of-Operation-v2.pdf
                Ken & Sandra
                2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

The issue with a lead acid type charger is the lack of 100% charge on lithium batteries. Since lithium batteries top balance the cells in the last stages of charging and require a higher voltage than the lead acid charger can deliver, the battery cells can become unbalanced and shorten the life of the battery. Also as measured, I had never seen over 10 amps delivered from the WFCO charger so its not so good even for lead acid use.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by T Alan B View Post
                    I'd like to replace my single AGM house battery with a single 100AH lithium. Probably a Chins or a Renogy. We have a 2019 29RS which currently has a 55AMP WFCO Converter (ModelWF-9855). I realize its not designed for lithium, but will it work properly with the new battery. I do plan on replacing the converter at a later date. Based on our camping habits, I don't see us getting into solar any time soon. We just need more reliable power for overnight stops. Thank You all...
                    official response from WFCO after writing a question proposing the same idea as yours for our 2021 Imagine 2670MK
                    "It will only charge a lithium battery up to about 85%.
                    You will need to swap it out with Part number WF-9855LIS."

Al & Ann
                    F150 with Max Tow Pkg.
                    Imagine 2670MK (2021)

Comment

Working...
                    X