No announcement yet.

Microwave, two-way refrigerator, inline outlets, and GFCI (possible) problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microwave, two-way refrigerator, inline outlets, and GFCI (possible) problem

Microwave, two-way refrigerator, inline outlets, and GFCI: Suddenly no power to circuit for microwave (and it seems), electrical to two-way refrigerator, and 3 nearby 110 outlets. Breaker is not tripped and is strong. Behavior is like a GFCI circuit trip. I've only located (so far) one GFCI circuit on my 2015 Solitude 379 FL (and its GFCI is located in the bathroom), and that circuit is not tripped (have tripped and reset anyway). Is there a 2nd GFCI on this model, haven't been able to locate, and where else would I look? What other problems should I look for? [i.e., trace the power/wires from the panel backwards to the outlets, then microwave outlet ? Odd that it is not a breaker that has tripped ... all breakers good, no other electrical problem on 110 circuits elsewhere in the rig
    Last edited by mdickey358; 12-12-2021, 08:55 PM.

Check the bathroom, the basement and outside. Also verify that your 50A plug is inserted properly on the trailer end.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

getting 2 good legs at the post, verified via EMS (and its output readings). thx, will look for another GFCI circuit in those places other than the bathroom which is already located and checked

Comment

mdickey358 Welome to the forum!

Should the microwave not be on a dedicated breaker and circuit? Have you started checking outlets with a meter? A bad connection coming out of any outlet will kill the ones downstream.
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

mdickey358

Check under the slide to see where the wire bundle is located and for any damage. Inside the frame from where that bundle enters there should be a molex connector, remove a few of the coroplast screws to get a look at this connector. You may also find that there is an outlet close to the slide out that the wires pass thru going to the slide, check this outlet to see if power is passing thru.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Check the output of the EMS, especially if al of the affected circuits are on the same hot line. IIRC someone had a similar issue and one of the output legs on the EMS came loose basically dropping one hot let feeding the camper. I also seem to recall someone having issues with an EMS that was not letting both of the hot legs through, even though it was reporting good voltage.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

mdickey358

What's written below assumes the trailer is wired as original and the GD "plan" I'm viewing is accurate. Both could not be true which could lead to some confusion, so keep that in mind.

The microwave is on a dedicated circuit ("D") and the other outlets are on a separate circuit ("G"). None of the inoperative circuits are GFCI protected.

G powers the refrigerator and the outlets (other than the microwave) in the kitchen slide. G also has one outlet in the opposing dinette slide--there should be one outlet on the far wall. Is it inoperative?

What's unusual about your problem is there's two circuits with an issue that, other than potentially being on the same 50A leg, are independent of each other. The only commonality is they are in a slide.

If you know how to use a multimeter and are familiar with taking electrical measurements, check for an output on the microwave circuit breaker. If there's 120vAC coming out of the breaker, but there's nothing at the microwave wall outlet, then there's a break in the circuit either at the molex connector or possibly the outlet itself.

A molex, if you're not aware, is a connector the RV industry uses to connect the typical "hard" 120vAC wiring to the "soft" wire needed in the slide. Follow Country Campers advice and you should be able to find the connector under the coroplast. (That's actually Brian modeling the connector in the picture!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Molex (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.5 KB ID:	72349
              If you do check the output of the breakers, consider taking a moment to check all the neutral wires connections in the power panel are secure. Before doing so, though, disconnect all power. Consult the WFCO manual for your Power Distribution Panel if you have or want to know the torque value. (I just make sure they are "good and tight"--don't overtighten.)

Howard

P.S. I hope you'll stop back and report once the issue is resolved.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
              X