Momentum 21G microwave wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Momentum 21G microwave wiring

Has anyone figured out how to easily wire the microwave to the inverter? Thinking of swapping the 1000w option that came with my trailer for a 2000w if it would allow me to use the microwave. Right now the microwave only comes on when connected to shore power or the generator is running.
    2022 Momentum 21G with factory 300w solar and generator
    2022 F-350 Lariat 6.7 PSD
    x2 206ah SOK LiFePO4 batteries

If no one has done this I'm planning on looking at the panel to see where the TV is connected since it is definitely wired to work off of the inverter. I believe there is one other outlet in the kitchen also wired the same. Just need a good weather window, maybe this weekend. I need to see if whatever the Inverter is connected to has any open circuits I could rewire the microwave to.

Comment

NickinCO -- can you "map" your RV's 120v outlets-to-breakers (or has it been done)? There's a lot of possibilities...but not sure how your 21G is configured.

Below is how mine was configured by GD. Your "map" will be a bit more complicated since you have the inverter and will need to show how that's integrated to get an accurate picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outlet to CB OEM.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	78659
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

NickinCO As a test I took an extension cord and plugged that into the outlet next to the kitchen sink on my 23G, which runs off the inverter, and plugged the other end into my shore power connection. Note I had to turn off the inverter and converter breakers as I was getting loop effect when doing that. This was so the 2000 watt inverter I upgraded to could power the whole trailer. It ran the microwave fine and even the air conditioner with a micro easy start...didn't try both at the same time because that would be too much. The Victron Shunt actually said I could run the AC for 4 hours with two 100Ah Battleborn batteries. I can't remember the exact numbers, but the microwave actually drew more amps than the AC.

Curious to see if you figure out a way to connect the microwave to the Inverter circuit. Since it has two plugs, I was thinking about wiring a separate power cord directly off the inverter down through the belly creating a plug on the outside of the trailer mounted to the frame that I could use for external power off the inverter since the existing exterior outlets only work on shore power. If I do that I could just plug the shore power cord into that and not have to run it out the window from the kitchen plug. LOL.
        Last edited by 74barrio; 03-09-2022, 10:45 PM.
        Dan M.
        2022 Momentum 23G
        2019 F250 6.7L

Comment

That's actually a good idea Dan. LOL! I'm hoping to get a chance to look at it this weekend. High in the mid 50's and I think I can get my MIL to watch my newborn for a few hours

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            NickinCO -- can you "map" your RV's 120v outlets-to-breakers (or has it been done)? There's a lot of possibilities...but not sure how your 21G is configured.

Below is how mine was configured by GD. Your "map" will be a bit more complicated since you have the inverter and will need to show how that's integrated to get an accurate picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outlet to CB OEM.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	78659
            This might be the easiest option. I seem to remember reading a post somewhere that there were 3 outlets tied into the inverter with one being in the bedroom. If possible I will swap that one with the microwave since I can't see ever needing it. I'll report back this weekend.

Comment

NickinCO All outlets connected to the inverter should be connected to the breaker in the subpanel next to the main panel. If you add another breaker to the subpanel for the microwave, just move the microwaves wire form the main panel to the new breaker in the subpanel (after you install the 2000W inverter)

There is an ATS connected to the 1000W inverter that is rated at 15 amps if I remember correctly. the 2000W inverter is good for a little more than 15 amps.....just saying.....
              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
                NickinCO All outlets connected to the inverter should be connected to the breaker in the subpanel next to the main panel. If you add another breaker to the subpanel for the microwave, just move the microwaves wire form the main panel to the new breaker in the subpanel (after you install the 2000W inverter)

There is an ATS connected to the 1000W inverter that is rated at 15 amps if I remember correctly. the 2000W inverter is good for a little more than 15 amps.....just saying.....
                Thanks for the heads up. I need to look at how it's wired and see if an inverter with a built in ATS would work better.

Comment

Originally posted by NickinCO View Post

Thanks for the heads up. I need to look at how it's wired and see if an inverter with a built in ATS would work better.
                  I think that's a good idea. I have a Magnum CSW2012-HX I was going to use for this very reason, but decided to use the multiplus. The CSW2012-HX has a built in ATS and is 2000W. Magnum does recommend another ATS between the generator and shore power.
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

So I spoke with Magnum tech support. They said as long as I'm not overloading the device the 2000w CSW series inverter won't be an issue with the 15A transfer switch. 2000w is roughly 17A. The microwave that came in my Momentum is 900w or roughly 7.5A. Worst case the TV would be on with the microwave going which I've measured at 2A so I don't think I'll have an issue. The only other thing I need to look at is the panel wiring. Does anyone know what size wiring they use and if it's suitable for a 2000w inverter? I know the wire from the inverter to the battery is at least 2/0 but I'm not sure about the other end.

Comment

NickinCO On the other end of the inverter is the 120 AC side with standard wiring so I don't think that will be an issue. See attached picture. You'll notice the 2000W inverter is a tight fit on my 23G and I had to trim off one of the mounting legs to get it to fit (leg near the communication cord).
                      Attached Files
                      Dan M.
                      2022 Momentum 23G
                      2019 F250 6.7L

Comment

Originally posted by 74barrio View Post
                        NickinCO On the other end of the inverter is the 120 AC side with standard wiring so I don't think that will be an issue. See attached picture. You'll notice the 2000W inverter is a tight fit on my 23G and I had to trim off one of the mounting legs to get it to fit (leg near the communication cord).
                        Thanks!

side note, if anyone knows a place that has a magnum csw2012 2000w inverter please let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by NickinCO View Post

Thanks!

side note, if anyone knows a place that has a magnum csw2012 2000w inverter please let me know!
                          Here it is on Amazon Amazon.com: Magnum CSW2012 2000W 12VDC Pure Sine Inverter CSW Series : Automotive

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                          X