Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcend 247BH Lead/Acid -> LiFePO4 conversion

Hello

After a lot of planning I finally got it done. Here are the wiring diagrams, which I had to make myself. Thanks to everyone on this forum who provided suggestions, especially Country Campers who posted about his experience and was an inspiration, and Jlawles2 for helping me figure out the fridge wire.

I will post some photos once I make them. I did a lot of the work at night (to get it done before a trip) so I didn't have much time for documenting it, except the diagrams which were crucial for the success of the project. Every minute I spent drawing out the circuit and updating it saved me hours. The work itself took less than two days (including a quick order from Amazon and a visit to Princess Auto).

BEFORE:

Click image for larger version  Name:	12V Original wiring.png Views:	0 Size:	1,015.6 KB ID:	78944

AFTER:

Click image for larger version  Name:	12V New wiring.png Views:	0 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	78945

Yeah, I guess one needs some experience with electrical circuits before attempting this
    Last edited by howson; 03-13-2022, 09:25 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling in title.
    2021 Transcend 247BH

AndrewSmith

The one thing that I see is you may want to move the load wires on the batteries to opposite ends, positive on the left battery , negative on the right battery, for load balancing, others may correct me on this. From what I have learned it is best to not have the load connected to the same battery , unless you only have one battery.

Congrats on the setup and glad I was "inspirational", if I can do it anyone can.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

When I was experimenting I had the charger connected to the same battery on one end, and measured the voltage drop to the second and third battery. With 4gauge wire it was about 0.1V for each hop if I remember right. So I guessed that it would be best to have at most one hop from the load to each battery. But perhaps that wasn't the best decision?
      2021 Transcend 247BH

Comment

It is my understanding that , from your diagram, the center battery will do most of the "work" while the outer ones fill in when needed. If you wire it as positive to the left battery and negative to the right battery all 3 batteries will be sharing the work load, if I am understanding and remembering the concept correctly.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewSmith View Post
          When I was experimenting I had the charger connected to the same battery on one end, and measured the voltage drop to the second and third battery. With 4gauge wire it was about 0.1V for each hop if I remember right. So I guessed that it would be best to have at most one hop from the load to each battery. But perhaps that wasn't the best decision?
          AndrewSmith How many amps was your charger supplying at the time you measured it? What is the resolution of your voltmeter?

If you are using AWG #4 copper wire, the resistance per foot is .00025 ohms/ft. Assuming 100 amps per battery, their max, and further assuming the wire connecting the outer batteries to the middle one is one foot long, you'd see 100a x .00025 ohms = .025 volts per line. Double this to account for total voltage drop the "outer" batteries see and you are at .05v (positive and negative cables). This would be assuming 300 total amps. For this discussion, I'm ignoring that 300 amps is way too much for #4 wire...

This is the balanced arrangement that Country Campers is suggesting would be better. While better, it does not completely balance the system, as now the middle battery is the odd man out and sees a different voltage than the outers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Parallel battery cable arrangement.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	79022

The only truly balanced arrangement is something like this:

Name:	Equal length cables.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	79023

How much difference these imbalances make I do not know, it totally depends on how many amps you plan to charge them with or draw from them.

AWG wire reference https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
          Ottertail, Minnesota
          2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
          2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

AndrewSmith

As you can see from AlexPeterson post above the balancing does not accomplish much just wanted to throw it out there.

​​​​​​​Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

AndrewSmith , Country Campers and AlexPeterson ;

I went through the same process and discussion with Garret Towne (AMSolar engineer). I posted a synopsis here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/7...4879#post74879

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion everyone, I moved the load leads to the opposite batteries. The counting links trick mentioned here was really handy.
                2021 Transcend 247BH

Comment

Here are some photos of my setup:

BATTERY BOX

The packing foam from the boxes the batteris shipped in was very handy. I won't need to worry about them rattling to death in the trailer. It turns out to be very easy to cut on a bandsaw, I never thought of doing that before.

Name:	Box 1.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	79109
                  The box is screwed into two sides of the storage compartment under the bed. It will not move:

Name:	Box 2.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	79110

BATTERY BANK

Name:	Battery bank.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	79111

Name:	Battery bank 2.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	79112

BATTERY MONITOR

This didn't work as well as I hoped. The LCD on the poorly-made battery monitor is not readable from this angle. So I have to get down on my knees to read it. But at least I didn't need to break into the kitchen wall and cabinets:

Name:	Monitor 1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	79113

I could have done something nicer with this wire. And one day I'll have to protect the connector from stuff that will get thrown into the storage compartment. For now it's good enough:

Name:	Monitor 2.jpg
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	79114

2021 Transcend 247BH

Comment

REWIRING

This box was in the trailer originally, on the front left. I only added a thicker piece of plywood on the back to screw in the circuit breakers. The "disconnect" was only used for the converter. Now it's much better organized. And protected from corrosion. Check out how lucky I was making that hole for the battery leads

Name:	Rewiring 1.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	79223

Name:	Rewiring 2.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	79224

Name:	Rewiring 3.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	79225

I am officially proud of myself Sometimes being anally organized pays off
                    Last edited by AndrewSmith; 03-15-2022, 10:49 PM.
                    2021 Transcend 247BH

Comment

And this is why such connections should never be exposed to the road:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Snow covered connections.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.7 KB ID:	79117

Click image for larger version  Name:	Coroded connections.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.2 KB ID:	79118

Of all those only two wires (plus the black hair) are left. I crimped on some good quality tinned enclosed connectors, filled with grease, taped, and heatshrinked. Still, I expect to have to remake that connection one of these years.

It only takes one covering of road-salty-snow for the connections to start corroding. After less than 3 months the copper disintegrates into purple dust.

Grand Design should have known better. I imagine Indiana isn't that much warmer than southern Ontario.
                      2021 Transcend 247BH

Comment

AndrewSmith -- may I make one more suggestion? Cover the positive battery terminals with something non-conductive so there's not an inadvertent shorting of a battery. (That would be really bad.)

Something like the cover shown below (one on each + connection):

Click image for larger version  Name:	cover terminal.JPG Views:	0 Size:	34.6 KB ID:	79120

Howard
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

AndrewSmith

The pics in post #10 did not load.

Good job done with this project, congrats.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                            AndrewSmith

The pics in post #10 did not load.

Good job done with this project, congrats.

Brian
                            Thanks Brian! I edited the post and reuploaded the photos, hopefully they show now.
                            2021 Transcend 247BH

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                              AndrewSmith -- may I make one more suggestion? Cover the positive battery terminals with something non-conductive so there's not an inadvertent shorting of a battery. (That would be really bad.)
                              One day I'll cover all the batteries with a piece of plywood, like a roof. That will keep pillows and such out of the batteries too.

For now I'm out of juice, and I just ripped the staircase out of my house going to the second floor, that gave me a serious project deadline
                              2021 Transcend 247BH

Comment

Working...
                              X