Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schwintek slide problem and fix. Check your wiring!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schwintek slide problem and fix. Check your wiring!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220317_084418.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	79375 We left SC 2 days ago. We were snowbirds for 4 months. Slide (schwintek ) in bedroom didn't move then popped fuse. Grabbed a buddy to help troubleshoot. We narrowed the short to a wire from the switch going to the controller for the "in" function. Going out worked, so motors fine. What I found is shocking. The bundle of DC wires ran across the floor behind the false wall directly in contact with the sharp edge of the furnace. Actually zip tied with the screw attachment. What I found was the controller wire was down to bare threads and caused a direct short.

I had removed the zip tie to find this.
    Attached Files
    2018 337RLS
    720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
    disc brakes, ems

Name:	Studio_20220317_101716.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	79378
    Attached Files
    2018 337RLS
    disc brakes, ems

Comment

Just an fyi.....since we knew the motors were fine and narrowed the shorted wire to a specific wire, we ran a jumper from a 12v source close directly to the "IN" side of the controller. This got me on the road until I could find the problem. I had to get a replacement switch because I broke the original removing wires while testing. I also picked up 20' of 12-2 wire figuring I might need to run new lines....thankfully did not.

hope this helps someone else and please Grand Design make up harnesses and color code these wires. I think a lot of bad press with issues could easily be stopped by doing things BETTER from the factory.
      this took 4 years to pop up. I hate chasing electrical issues!
      2018 337RLS
      disc brakes, ems

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. What model GD is this in?

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Jims94vmx -- no sig line? You're almost at 100 posts...time to get that thing created. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...-to-your-posts

I can tell from your VIN it's a 26' Reflection 5vr...just not sure exactly which model.

Oh--and good job troubleshooting the problem and thanks for taking the time to post the fix.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Note to anyone that reads this thread, check around your HWH and Furnace. On one of our 5ers, the plumbing line was pulled tight across the edge of the furnace. There was enough slack that all I needed to do was relocate it by pulling it off the sharp edge and around the corner.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

2018 337RLS model
              2018 337RLS
              disc brakes, ems

Comment

Originally posted by Jims94vmx View Post

Name:	20220317_084418.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	79375 We left SC 2 days ago. We were snowbirds for 4 months. Slide (schwintek ) in bedroom didn't move then popped fuse. Grabbed a buddy to help troubleshoot. We narrowed the short to a wire from the switch going to the controller for the "in" function. Going out worked, so motors fine. What I found is shocking. The bundle of DC wires ran across the floor behind the false wall directly in contact with the sharp edge of the furnace. Actually zip tied with the screw attachment. What I found was the controller wire was down to bare threads and caused a direct short.

I had removed the zip tie to find this.
                Jims94vmx Thanks for the info. I just checked the wiring by the corner of the furnace and all is good to go.
                Rudy
                South Dakota
                2019 GMC 3500HD Duramax SRW
                2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Glad to hear it Rudy
                  2018 337RLS
                  disc brakes, ems

Comment

Working...
                  X