My project today, clean up wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My project today, clean up wiring

So today I decided to clean up the rat's nest of wiring under front of trailer. I'm not ragging on Grand Design as I've had four other brand name trailers and they are all the same.

This is how it came from factory; I don't like hot wires exposed to the elements So. Shut down all power (shore power and unhooked negative cables on batteries. Next took two or three pictures, wanted to get all back in right order. I used a plastic container with snap on lid.

After hooking up all the wires that went thru holes, I drilled I used silicone calking to seal the holes then snapped on lid.

Now no more worries about corroded wires.
    Last edited by howson; 04-23-2022, 06:19 PM.
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS 2012 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD SRW Soon to be retired

Originally posted by Riley8141 View Post
    So today I decided to clean up the rat's nest of wiring under front of trailer. I'm not ragging on Grand Design as I've had four other brand name trailers and they are all the same.

This is how it came from factory; I don't like hot wires exposed to the elements So. Shut down all power (shore power and unhooked negative cables on batteries. Next took two or three pictures, wanted to get all back in right order. I used a plastic container with snap on lid.

After hooking up all the wires that went thru holes, I drilled I used silicone calking to seal the holes then snapped on lid.

Now no more worries about corroded wires.
    Oooo...I like that. My wiring is still exposed. Another item added to my "To Do" list to clean that up (the corrosion on the connectors has always bothered me and is something I clean whenever I'm under the trailer).

Only thing I can think of (maybe you did it already?) was drill a couple of small holes in the bottom of the container so that if water does build up (condensation, whatever) it has a way to drain out?

Thanks for the post.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

No I didn't think of that. Going back under trailer tomorrow to fix ground wires, will take drill. Thank you Howard

Comment

You both may want to look into a can of this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I use it on the connectors on the truck to protect them from condensation corrosion.

I know it's not available from Amazon but there are other retailers.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Follow up to Clean up wring. Got around to doing ground wires today. Started with this. After pulling tape found these connectors. I used an old buss bar from an electrical panel. Continued in next post.

Comment

I found that just stranded wire in screw down didn't work very well, so I tinned them. After all in and tight I took Jlawles2 es2 advice and sprayed them with an corrosion preventive. Now at least two possible problems off the list. Thanks also to howson for his help.

Comment

Working...
            X