The Converter Pigtail in the PDP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Converter Pigtail in the PDP

I must be just being dense, but where does the pigtailed wire go on the Converter breaker on the OEM wiring of the PDP on the 200MK with the WF-8900-AD series panel? I'd like to install an inverter eventually, and need to wire a transfer switch.
    - Eric P. (2021 Transcend XPLOR 200MK)

epearce -- the "Electric Plan" the moderators have access to view are often not 100% reliable so take the following with a grain of salt. According to what I can see the converter 15A breaker powers just the converter in your 200MK. The converter is internal to the PDP, right?

To confirm the breaker is truly just for the converter, turn off the breaker and verify everything else in the camper (that uses 120vAC) still works. Obviously any 12v component in the camper will be running off the battery bank (while the converter is off).

I assume you're asking the question because you want the converter turned off automatically when running on the inverter? Otherwise I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do or if my reply even makes sense.

Have you posted a diagram of your system (the desired end state)? I know there's been quite a few questions but don't have it all memorized.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yes, the converter is internal, and powered off that 15 A breaker. But both the OEM and the replacement wiring from the converter have a pigtail that allows powering another circuit, and that is connected to something. There are plenty of spaces in the rest of the panel, don't know why they would want to power something else on this circuit. Its not labeled as anything but "CONV".

In reference to the other questions, no wiring diagram, but its basically still the OEM power distribution set up after the re-wire, except for the new batteries and solar controller, a DC-DC charger between the TV and the 12V+ bus bar, and the refrigerator wired directly to the PDP. Mostly just some right-sized wires running in the same old routes.

I'm about to turn it all back on and will see where the other circuit goes.

Comment

Here is another thread that may be helpful
        https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...verter-breaker

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Country Campers. Mine went to the outdoor outlets and the utlility outlet in the pass through. Back to the Amazon store, I need another breaker. That's really dumb. The converter should be on a dedicated circuit. I would guess that WFCO supplies the pigtail so that a relay could be wired to it if you needed to do something with that when you have the converter powered.

Comment

epearce -- stumbled across this basic block diagram in my files and thought of your project. Not sure how much (if any) it will help, but here it is regardless.

Note I did not make this diagram and unfortunately cannot credit the author as the original file doesn't have a reference.

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	Basic Inverter-Solar Charger Di - 120V Block Diagram.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	97781
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              epearce -- stumbled across this basic block diagram in my files and thought of your project. Not sure how much (if any) it will help, but here it is regardless.

Note I did not make this diagram and unfortunately cannot credit the author as the original file doesn't have a reference.

Howard

Name:	Basic Inverter-Solar Charger Di - 120V Block Diagram.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	97781
              Thanks. That's pretty close to where I am right now. The OEM integrated converter/PDP makes sense on a small weekender unit, but once you start upgrading, the co-location of the converter and the integrated AC and DC distribution becomes a major downside as you start to have higher charging current, or want to add an inverter. At least with the converter on a dedicated circuit, you can add the inverter and a ATS, and remember (hopefully) to turn off the breaker to the converter, or as someone else on the other thread pointed out, just wire it directly to the shore side of the ATS, and add an in-line fuse. Yes, I see that an inverter is probably in my future, but I'm done for now. Mostly done at least.

The Smart Shunt and Smart MPPT are fabulous, no more guessing about what is going on. It was very nice on the re-wire being able to turn everything on and see that everything was working. The Victron Smart DC-DC was a bit finicky... it wants a very specific install, power up sequence, and needs input to do anything at all. The little jumper is, well, little. It would be nice if it would at least give a heartbeat on the bluetooth with the TV was disconnected. Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Upgrade.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	97847

Comment

epearce -- nice job on the install. Haven't seen many SmartShunt installs so the bluetooth indicator caught my eye immediately. You're also one of the few to install an Orion--interesting to read the feedback and if/when you get a chance please post a few screenshots from your phone with it working.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Name:	RV Battery Diagram.png
Views:	115
Size:	527.8 KB
ID:	98293
                  Originally posted by howson View Post

Howard

Click image for larger version  Name:	Basic Inverter-Solar Charger Di - 120V Block Diagram.jpg Views:	55 Size:	56.2 KB ID:	97781
                  This is how mine turned out... or will... I still need to install the inverter and upsize some of the cables for the 200A draw of the Inverter. Once upon I time, I had a little 8 AWG OEM wire coming off the battery.
                  Last edited by epearce; 10-27-2022, 10:55 AM. Reason: minor fix on wiring diagram

Comment

Working...
                  X