Battery removal (for winter) with Furrion MPPT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery removal (for winter) with Furrion MPPT

We've got a factory solar setup with the Fuirrion 25A MPPT controller and a Lead Acid battery. I was going to remove the battery to bring it home for the winter, but then I realized I have no obvious way to disconnect the output from the MPPT to the batteries. Nor is there a clear way to disconnect the PV input to the MPPT. Any suggestions? Should I leave the battery and not worry about it since the solar will likely keep trickle charge all winter? I'm concerned that here in Minnesota it's not good to leave the battery in the cold all winter.
    Tim H.
    2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2019 Ford F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
    Formerly: 2016 Ford F150 Lariat Super Crew, FX4, 3.5L EB, 6-1/2' bed
    Formerly: 2019 Keystone Passport 175BH

This may be a good time to add a couple of disconnect switches to your system. It is not recommended by Furrion to leave the solar charge controller hooked to the solar array and not hooked to a battery source. I would not leave the battery as I would guess that you would get some snow covering the solar panel and then no charge input for the battery. I would get a couple disconnects, I have used this type Amazon.com: Ampper Battery Switch, 12-48 V Battery Power Cut Master Switch Disconnect Isolator for Car, Vehicle, RV and Boat (On/Off) : Automotive​, and install one on the positive input to the charger and one on the output to the battery. With that you could cut all power coming from the solar array to the charger as well as from the solar charger to the battery then you can remove the battery at any time with no issues.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

As much as I’d like to put in disconnect switches, that’s more of a spring or summer task. Not just before 🥶😉.

In the end, I decided to disconnect the panels on the roof. No more power coming in. I’ll buy some supplies over the winter and make it a spring project.
      Tim H.
      2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

I'd be leery of disconnect on the roof for fear of water. Might be easier to unscrew the red wire from the MPPT down in the bay. Tape it up so it won't hit any metal.
        Mitchell & Kitty
        2022 Imagine 2670MK
        2024 Ram 2500 6.7 diesel

Comment

What would be the problem with just removing the batteries? The units are delivered fully wired and set-up to the dealer with NO batteries installed.
          2022 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Custom
          2022 Grand Design Transcend Xplor 221RB

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell & Kitty View Post
            I'd be leery of disconnect on the roof for fear of water. Might be easier to unscrew the red wire from the MPPT down in the bay. Tape it up so it won't hit any metal.
            I don't think anyone puts a disconnect switch on their roof. Anywhere in the wiring (where it's convenient) between the panels and the input to the controller works.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Smacker View Post
              What would be the problem with just removing the batteries? The units are delivered fully wired and set-up to the dealer with NO batteries installed.
              Which is wrong IMO and according to the Furrion manual...and every other solar controller's manual that I've read. Having power going into the controller from the panels without the controller being connected to a battery could damage the controller. (Obviously not an instantaneous, controller-will-go-poof situation, but there has to be a reason every OEM recommends the power on and power off process as described earlier.)

Just because an RV manufacturer (including our host) does something a certain way that does not in of itself provide proof that it's the right way of doing it.

With all that said there will be plenty of people that will not know this information and so they will not know to take the precaution.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell & Kitty View Post
                I certainly pondered snow/water when disconnecting, but ultimately decided I was ok with it.

I would have disconnected at the MPPT, but Furrion doesn’t make the controller that way. It’s essentially hard wired in. And I couldn’t readily find the spot where PV was spliced in.
                Tim H.
                2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I don't think anyone puts a disconnect switch on their roof. Anywhere in the wiring (where it's convenient) between the panels and the input to the controller works.
                  Right, not a disconnect switch on the roof. I just disconnected the quick connects. In the spring, I’ll wire up a proper disconnect switch in the pass through.
                  Tim H.
                  2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

Originally posted by Smacker View Post
                    The problem I observed was that there’s still power going to the battery connections, despite no battery. So it’s twofold, open power on connectors and it’s clear from volt meter that the MPPT is working overtime hunting for the right voltage to send to the “battery”.
                    Tim H.
                    2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE

Comment

Working...
                    X