A/C Unit Whistling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C Unit Whistling

A couple of weeks ago my Coleman Mach A/C unit began emitting a high-pitched sound, or whistle. After a day or two the noise stopped on its own and the unit continues to work normally. Most information found on the web indicates that a whistle like that is probably caused by a coolant leak. But if that were the case here, I wonder why it would stop on its own and is still blowing cold air.

As a full-timer, I'd rather not let go until it quits cooling my trailer when I'm parked someplace where I can't easily get it fixed. Not to mention that I wouldn't want to be forced to rely on a local mobile repair guy (don't get me started on them πŸ˜€). So I'd be interested in any thoughts on what other malfunctions can cause an intermittent A/C whistling sound.

Thanks!​
    Full-timer since 2019
    2019 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
    2016 Ford F-150, 3.5L Turbo
    Get Lost with Us at: BustedCompass.us​

Originally posted by BustedCompass View Post
    A couple of weeks ago my Coleman Mach A/C unit began emitting a high-pitched sound, or whistle. After a day or two the noise stopped on its own and the unit continues to work normally. Most information found on the web indicates that a whistle like that is probably caused by a coolant leak. But if that were the case here, I wonder why it would stop on its own and is still blowing cold air.

As a full-timer, I'd rather not let go until it quits cooling my trailer when I'm parked someplace where I can't easily get it fixed. Not to mention that I wouldn't want to be forced to rely on a local mobile repair guy (don't get me started on them πŸ˜€). So I'd be interested in any thoughts on what other malfunctions can cause an intermittent A/C whistling sound.

Thanks!​
    First--welcome to the forum.

I had what could be described as a squeal coming from my front a/c unit last year. Went up on the roof and took off all the shrouds to inspect everything and it all looked good. Fan turned with my hand without any undue resistance and there was no wobble or "give" between the shaft and bearing. No sign of any foreign objects. So I buttoned it all back up and it's ran fine ever since.

So...only advice I can give is (if you're capable and have the knowledge) to do the same inspection. Changing Lanes (Chad) has an excellent video on doing an inspection that is linked here on the forum. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ng-maintenance

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I took the very same actions that you did (great minds...): removed the shrouds, checked for anything amiss. Nada.

I'll take a look at the video you mentioned, but unless something changes, I may start believing that my A/C unit is self-healing. That would be especially odd since I didn't order that option. πŸ˜€

Thanks!
      Full-timer since 2019
      2019 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
      2016 Ford F-150, 3.5L Turbo
      Get Lost with Us at: BustedCompass.us​

Comment

Working...
      X