Furrion ac sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion ac sound

The Furrion FCACR15HESA ac in my 2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL is making a sound much like that of a slamming door or a heavy object falling onto the floor from time to time. It otherwise seems to be operating correctly. Any ideas?

Originally posted by Thomlock View Post
    The Furrion FCACR15HESA ac in my 2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL is making a sound much like that of a slamming door or a heavy object falling onto the floor from time to time. It otherwise seems to be operating correctly. Any ideas?
    Something loose that the fan catches on occasion? If you're capable of (safely) climbing on the roof and have basic DIY'er skills, accessing the interior of the unit is easy. I suggest removing ALL electrical power from the RV before poking around inside, though -- if you're not familiar with capacitors and other electrical circuits there are things that can go (very) wrong. Getting zapped and subsequently falling off a roof would constitute a bad day.

Howard

P.S. Image below from a Lippert webinar on the Furrion a/c unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	242
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	125183
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I pulled the hood on the roof and didn’t see anything amiss - both fans turned readily by hand. I went inside and took off the plastic housing. Same story: nothing out of place to hit the blower. I did find the long bolts hold the mounting frame to the rooftop unit were a bit loose so I hand tightened them until snug.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomlock View Post
        Thanks for the advice. I pulled the hood on the roof and didn’t see anything amiss - both fans turned readily by hand. I went inside and took off the plastic housing. Same story: nothing out of place to hit the blower. I did find the long bolts hold the mounting frame to the rooftop unit were a bit loose so I hand tightened them until snug.
        Interesting. Was the noise evident at any time while troubleshooting?

I realize you turned the fan by hand as documented in your post, so did you reconnect power and turn them on with the cover off just to see if the sound repeated?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Interesting. Was the noise evident at any time while troubleshooting?

I realize you turned the fan by hand as documented in your post, so did you reconnect power and turn them on with the cover off just to see if the sound repeated?
          I didn’t repower it until after I tightened those bolts.

It hasn’t recurred since, although we’ve been running the unit on Dry rather than Cool. It was never a continuous sound - it happened and then only normal sounds and then happened again.

Comment

I wonder if the bolts were loose enough that the AC was bouncing on the roof?

There is a torque spec on the bolts. Keep your eye on them and if it persist, time for the magic liquid.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
              I wonder if the bolts were loose enough that the AC was bouncing on the roof?

There is a torque spec on the bolts. Keep your eye on them and if it persist, time for the magic liquid.
              That’s what I think was going on, although I can’t prove it.

Comment

Update: the sound came back. It turns out the screw that holds the evaporator fan to its shaft was not tight so every once in a while it would slip, hit the styrofoam block around it and bounce back, giving rise to the door slamming sound. The tip-off was the tiny styrofoam bits that sometimes blew out of the ducts after hearing the sound. That screw has been tightened and the fan can no longer be moved along the shaft.
                Last edited by Thomlock; 12-28-2023, 11:23 AM.

Comment

I am having a loud noise like this based on your description. I would like to check on this, however can you tell me the best method to access the loose fan? Thought the interior or the roof? Any tips you can provide on this fix?

Comment

Originally posted by CF542 View Post
                    I am having a loud noise like this based on your description. I would like to check on this, however can you tell me the best method to access the loose fan? Thought the interior or the roof? Any tips you can provide on this fix?
                    The only way to check the screw on the evaporator fan is by taking off the outer shroud. In other words, on the roof.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Working...
                    X