Furnace shuts off before reaching temp and won't restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace shuts off before reaching temp and won't restart

I have a new 2023 Momentum 395MS and the furnace that ran fine for our first 2 days of camping (first trip with rig) and then I woke up at 2am on the 3rd night to an inside temp of 50 degrees; it was 28 degrees outside. The lightbulb went on... "propane empty?" Indeed the first tank had gone empty. Switched to second tank, furnace started up fine. However when I woke at 5am, same story, 50 degrees inside. I rechecked my tanks and tank was full, and valve in right direction. I turned the heater off/on and it started right back up. It proceeded to heat to about 65 (set at 70) and it shut off again before reaching temp setting. However the control panel indicated that it was "Heating / Gas" but furnace not running. I again shut if off/on and it resumed heating again, but only reached 69 and shut off, but again control panel said "Heating". It continues to do this where it appears to be heating per the control panel but not running and won't reach the set temp. After we got home from the trip I new it would get below freezing again so I set it to the lowest setting of 47 degrees and it is now heating fine at that setting. Both of the last two mornings when I went out to check it it was dead on at 47 degrees in main cabin. the screen shot below is what it looks like when the furnace was not running and the control panel showing "heating".
    Attached Files
    2023 Momentum 395MS

Photo of control panel.
    2023 Momentum 395MS

Comment

Did you by any chance refill the empty propane tank and reinstall it back in the camper and are currently using it?

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by pldwelle View Post
        Photo of control panel.
        Added to first post. This was the control panel pic at the time the app screen shot was taken, i.e. temp set to 70, furnace shut off at 65.
        2023 Momentum 395MS

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          Did you by any chance refill the empty propane tank and reinstall it back in the camper and are currently using it?

Brian
          No, 1st tank still empty, valve only drawing from full tank.
          2023 Momentum 395MS

Comment

Originally posted by pldwelle View Post

No, 1st tank still empty, valve only drawing from full tank.
            Well there goes that theory.

There may be a loose wire connection, overheat sensor may be the culprit, thermostat maybe.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

This sounds eerily similar to my issue I just had resolved. Once at temp it could maintain because it never had to run for very long. If there was a big gap between desired temp and current temp I could never get more than 25 mins of run time. It wpuld quit at that point. Still indicating heat is on and the only way to get it running again was to turn it off and back on again. Slowly climbing the ladder to desired temp.

My dealership couldn’t figure it out. Said it was fine because it would run. Yes, but not long enough. Paid for an independent shop to look at it. They were stumped too, but with many phone calls to Suburban and more testing found a bad resister on the board and a bad fan. The fan would would amp out and quit. Shutting the whole thing down. No sure idea what the catalyst for all of this was.

Fortunately cool weather is ending soon, but in this condition if you can climb the ladder to desired temp, it’ll probably maintain once you get there. We had to do that first trip out when it was in the teens at night and we made it work. Annoying as it was a day old trailer.
              2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by Boxer1200 View Post
                This sounds eerily similar to my issue I just had resolved. Once at temp it could maintain because it never had to run for very long. If there was a big gap between desired temp and current temp I could never get more than 25 mins of run time. It wpuld quit at that point. Still indicating heat is on and the only way to get it running again was to turn it off and back on again. Slowly climbing the ladder to desired temp.

My dealership couldn’t figure it out. Said it was fine because it would run. Yes, but not long enough. Paid for an independent shop to look at it. They were stumped too, but with many phone calls to Suburban and more testing found a bad resister on the board and a bad fan. The fan would would amp out and quit. Shutting the whole thing down. No sure idea what the catalyst for all of this was.

Fortunately cool weather is ending soon, but in this condition if you can climb the ladder to desired temp, it’ll probably maintain once you get there. We had to do that first trip out when it was in the teens at night and we made it work. Annoying as it was a day old trailer.
                My problem began after we had been at set temp for 2 days, then woke up in the middle of the night at 50 degrees! Not sure if creeping up will allow it to hold temp or not. These are the kinds of frustrations that the dealer will say, "looks OK to us", instead of just replacing the defective units to satisfy a customer.
                2023 Momentum 395MS

Comment

Working...
                X