Replacing Furnace Duct - Specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Furnace Duct - Specs?

I need to replace an 8' section of 4" flexible ducting. Had mice nest inside and they had chewed holes in it. Sticker on ducting says Type 1 Air Connector plus other specs re velocity and pressure. for a Google search: "Class 1 represents a material which shall have a flame spread rating of not over 25 without evidence of continued progressive combustion and a smoke-developed rating of not over 50."
    I can't find a hose that specifically states a "Class 1.
    1. Any idea where to obtain OEM Class 1 ducting?
    2. Can a dryer vent hose be used? It looks the same but I'm leery because the ducting snakes around and through and underneath cabinets, stove, near converter, etc...
    Thanks in advance for any help!

Don
    2018 Imagine #2150 RB
    Don & Jeannie
    2017 F150 3.5L V6 Ecoboost w/Trailer Tow Package
    2018 Imagine 2150RB

Looking at the parts lookup website, it lists the duct as 'DUCT 4" MYLAR FOIL FLEX UL HEAT DUCT-25FT' (https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...rts/detail/797). Searching for 'flexible foil mylar heating vent' does return a result at Lowe's that has class 1 listed in it https://www.lowes.ca/product/flexibl...ble-duct-56263
    sorry for the Canadian link if you're south of the 49.

Interesting that the description says don't use for dryer venting, maybe something to do with trapping lint? I personally only use the rigid stuff for dryer venting for that reason so maybe they have the same thought process....
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by Donw78025 View Post
      I need to replace an 8' section of 4" flexible ducting. Had mice nest inside and they had chewed holes in it. Sticker on ducting says Type 1 Air Connector plus other specs re velocity and pressure. for a Google search: "Class 1 represents a material which shall have a flame spread rating of not over 25 without evidence of continued progressive combustion and a smoke-developed rating of not over 50."
      I can't find a hose that specifically states a "Class 1.
      1. Any idea where to obtain OEM Class 1 ducting?
      2. Can a dryer vent hose be used? It looks the same but I'm leery because the ducting snakes around and through and underneath cabinets, stove, near converter, etc...
      Thanks in advance for any help!

Don
      2018 Imagine #2150 RB
      It was tough but I found this webpage that talks about UL2158A, Class 1, Class 0 duct work.

https://dundasjafine.com/ul-classification/

My take away is that the dryer transition duct material carrying the UL2158A designation would work and is considered Class 1. If you want something a little better you could use the semi-rigid duct which is a Class 0. But it would be a little harder to route.

I did find GE dryer transition duct at HD that carries the UL2258A designation.
      Mike & Lisa
      Central Florida
      2021 Imagine 2970RL
      1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Thanks so much for the bird dogging!
        Yeah, after I posted the questions, I did find the GD Parts Lookup site. So now I have an inquiry with the local GD dealer to see if they have that in stock.
        Thanks again!
        Don & Jeannie
        2018 Imagine 2150RB

Comment

Yesterday I talked with a service technician in the Grand Design dealership. He said just use the dryer vent hose: " just go to Home Depot and get the dryer vent hose. That's what we do."
          So that's what I did and hooked it up, seems to work fine now. In fact, the dryer vent hose seems heavier material than OEM.
          ​​OEM.
          THanks again for all the input!
          Don & Jeannie
          2018 Imagine 2150RB

Comment

Working...
          X