Furnace cuts off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace cuts off

My 315RLTS is brand new and furnace hasn't been used. I turn it on by the T stat and blower comes on for about 10 seconds then shuts off before any heat comes out, then sometimes nothing will come on not even the blower. Any ideas as to the problem?

Originally posted by Ron View Post
    My 315RLTS is brand new and furnace hasn't been used. I turn it on by the T stat and blower comes on for about 10 seconds then shuts off before any heat comes out, then sometimes nothing will come on not even the blower. Any ideas as to the problem?
    There's a device called a "sail switch" that should close (due to the air movement of the blower wheel) that tells the furnace it's OK to turn on the gas. Given your description, the sail switch isn't closing.

Do you know the model # of your furnace?

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I know this will sound stupid, but are you sure the tanks are filled? 99.9% of new sales will have full tanks, but maybe that got overlooked especially if the furnace operation wasn't covered during the PDI. Next, close both valves and (if you have one) make sure that the tank change valve is fully one way or the other, then slowly open the valves. Next make sure that all of the burners on the stove can be lighted at the same time to make sure that you have suffecient flow and the lines are purged. Once you get this far, turn on the furnace. Feel an outlet and see if you feel air blowing and listen close to the furnace and see if you hear the igniter clicking and attempting to light the flame.
      If you are sure that you have gas and the fan is blowing, as howson mentioned, first suspect is sail switch. If you still don't get anywhere, with this you have to decide about going back to the dealership service department or contacting Customer Service and asking for a mobile tech. They pay for the parts and labor, you pay for trip charge.
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Not senile yet - tanks are full. I may try a mobile tech. Thanks.

Comment

Did any of the other trouble shooting steps work out?
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Didn't see any trouble shooting steps.

Comment

Next, close both valves and (if you have one) make sure that the tank change valve is fully one way or the other, then slowly open the valves.

Next make sure that all of the burners on the stove can be lighted at the same time to make sure that you have suffecient flow and the lines are purged.

Once you get this far, turn on the furnace. Feel an outlet and see if you feel air blowing and listen close to the furnace and see if you hear the igniter clicking and attempting to light the flame.
              Nash County, NC
              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
                Didn't see any trouble shooting steps.
                Did you miss my query regarding the model # of your furnace?
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Sail Switch.
                  State your model and you can get the part #.
                  Replacement Instructions are on YouTube.
                  I carry a spare.
                  2020 Momentum 398M

Comment

Working...
                  X