Sanitizing Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanitizing Questions

The instructions for sanitizing the fresh water system say to fill the tank with a solution of 1/4 cup bleach to 1 gallon of water for every 15 gallons of holding tank capacity. Run through the lines, let sit at least 3 - 4 hours, drain and flush with fresh water.

Two questions - 1) if we are on the road and don't want to travel with filled tanks, could we just put maybe a 1/4 tank of solution in, run it through the lines, and drive for the day. Will sloshing it around in the tank all day work as well as it sitting in a full tank for several hours?

2) How/where do you drain it? Most campgrounds don't want you dumping this stuff on the ground. Do you crawl under the rig and hold the sewer hose up to the drain or what?

Thanks for any suggestions

Andi
    Andi
    Brookings SD
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Originally posted by Andi View Post
    The instructions for sanitizing the fresh water system say to fill the tank with a solution of 1/4 cup bleach to 1 gallon of water for every 15 gallons of holding tank capacity. Run through the lines, let sit at least 3 - 4 hours, drain and flush with fresh water.

Two questions - 1) if we are on the road and don't want to travel with filled tanks, could we just put maybe a 1/4 tank of solution in, run it through the lines, and drive for the day. Will sloshing it around in the tank all day work as well as it sitting in a full tank for several hours?

2) How/where do you drain it? Most campgrounds don't want you dumping this stuff on the ground. Do you crawl under the rig and hold the sewer hose up to the drain or what?

Thanks for any suggestions

Andi
    Hey Andi!

Set the Nautilus on "Dry Camping", turn on the pump and then flush the toilet until the water stops running. Turn off the pump. There may be a gallon or two of water still in your fresh water tank--I'd dump it on the ground to ensure all the bleached water is out of the tank. With the Nautilus set accordingly, add fresh water to your tank and repeat the process, except go to each faucet and run it for a while until you're sure all of the bleach water is out of that line.

This advice assumes you're at a campground or near a dump facility.

-Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Andi ...of course you could always put a bucket under the fresh water drain to catch the last gallon or two of water that may still be in the tank if your campground is hyper-sensitive about anything coming out of the camper.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Hey Andi!

Set the Nautilus on "Dry Camping", turn on the pump and then flush the toilet until the water stops running. Turn off the pump. There may be a gallon or two of water still in your fresh water tank--I'd dump it on the ground to ensure all the bleached water is out of the tank. With the Nautilus set accordingly, add fresh water to your tank and repeat the process, except go to each faucet and run it for a while until you're sure all of the bleach water is out of that line.

This advice assumes you're at a campground or near a dump facility.

-Howard
        Okay, we were tired and crabby last night after dealing with the other issue, should have thought of this , it's not rocket science . I could actually run all the taps to drain the majority of the fresh tank into the black or grey, LOL. And yes, Rudy has used the bucket method for the last bit before.

Thanks, howson , if you were going to be at Quartzsite I'd buy you a beer! ​​​​​​​
        Andi
        Brookings SD
        2018 Reflection 337RLS
        2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by Andi View Post

Okay, we were tired and crabby last night after dealing with the other issue, should have thought of this , it's not rocket science . I could actually run all the taps to drain the majority of the fresh tank into the black or grey, LOL. And yes, Rudy has used the bucket method for the last bit before.

Thanks, howson , if you were going to be at Quartzsite I'd buy you a beer!
          I'll take a rain check, thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
          X