Water Heater Drain, Reflection Fifth Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater Drain, Reflection Fifth Wheel

I am not sure if all of the Grand Design Fifth Wheels are plumbed this way but mine was. There was no way to drain the water heater fully. To explain that we do have the outside plug on the water heater for draining purposes, this did not completely drain the water heater, so I found out today. While replacing all of the soft hose on the back side of the Nautilus panel I realized that I could add a drain line while replacing the feed line to the water heater with PEX tubing. In the pictures below you can see the new PEX feed line attached to the the input side of the water heater. I added a 2" long brass !/2" pipe nipple to accommodate the new PEX fitting. From there to the Nautilus panel I added a "T" to facilitate the drain and continuing to the Nautilus panel. When I removed the factory feed line and lowered the the end that was attached to the Nautilus panel about 1 gallon of water drained from the water heater tank. This was after opening the drain on the front of the tank which was done after our last trip last year. That is how I how learned that the front plug drain does not actually completely drain the water heater tank. The new drain in place should completely drain the tank and I can leave it open while traveling and utilize the sloshing to get the tank fully drained. This was a pretty easy mod but you have to make sure that you can complete all PEX clamps, I had to do this in sections.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drain 1.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	109443 Click image for larger version

Name:	Drain 2.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	109444 Click image for larger version

Name:	Drain 3.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	109445

Hope this provides others with another project to add to their list.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Hi Brian,

I remember the gallon or more that came out of my plumbing system (after blowing it out) when I cut it apart to replace the soft hose . . . but, I did not realize how much came out of the water heater. Amazing that the outside drain is not the low point . I did add a 3rd low point drain associated with how I plumbed my added accumulator tank. I will look into adding a 4th following your lead. This would be an easier way to drain the water heater than the drain plug behind the outside water heater cover.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob,

4 drains should surely get the water out of the system, I hope.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
      X