Black Tank Vent Full of Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Tank Vent Full of Water

Hey all. When we dumped our black tank last time, we noticed a gurgling sound coming from the tank. We got up on the roof and noticed the vent is full of water. I put a 25 foot snake down the vent and it didn’t help. Any ideas as what is causing this and how to fix? Also, we dumped hot water down the vent from the roof, and the water level didn’t really change. Very strange.

Thanks all.
    Dave

2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW

When you say “the water level didn’t really change” can you describe this further. Is the water level up to the roof vent, or well down in the vent stack?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

It is up to roof level, but when I added water, the level stayed the same. It’s very strange.
      Dave

2021 Reflection 337RLS
      2020 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by bsu1980 View Post
        It is up to roof level, but when I added water, the level stayed the same. It’s very strange.
        Very strange indeed--if the vent has disconnected from the tank below I don't understand how it would seal so perfectly that it would retain water.

Can you please fill out your signature line (as mentioned in the Welcome Letter) so we all know the year and model of your GDRV?

Thanks!

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Oh yeah, will do. Sorry about that.

Dave

2021 Reflection 337RLS
          2020 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW
          Dave

2021 Reflection 337RLS
          2020 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW

Comment

I do wonder if the snake is going down into the gray tank vs the black tank, but I am not sure if they vent to the roof or not. It’s all very odd.
            Dave

2021 Reflection 337RLS
            2020 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by bsu1980 View Post
              I do wonder if the snake is going down into the gray tank vs the black tank, but I am not sure if they vent to the roof or not. It’s all very odd.
              It's both. The vent "Y's" to vent both the shower gray and the black tank.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	203.8 KB ID:	118915​​​

Looking at the diagram I can't come up with a theory as to how the water could back up to the roof through the vent--seems like both branches of the "Y" would have to be blocked for that to happen. Hopefully someone else can determine what's going on.

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

What's even more perplexing to me is that the level stays the same when water is added.

bsu1980 when you add the water to the roof vent and it's maintaining the same level, the added water has got to be going somewhere. Can you open the drain valve to each tank, one at a time, and determine if it's coming out the grey tank or black tank?
                2020 Reflection 273MK
                2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

The only way that an over-filled tank can raise liquid to the roof vent is if that tank is the only one vented through that stack. In most Grand Design products, multiple tanks vent through the same stack. This means that (for example) if you were to leave the black tank flush running, this would fill the black tank, rise up the vent stack and then overflow into the vent stacks of one or more grey tanks. When the grey tanks fill, the overflow will come out the lowest point. Usually the shower drain or the galley sink.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I am going to call GD in the morning to just ask what they think. I really have no idea what is happening. It just doesn’t make any sense.

Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate it.

Dave
                    Dave

2021 Reflection 337RLS
                    2020 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW

Comment

Can you post a pic of the vent please? There are several penetration typed on the roofs of RV's now.

As for the gurgle, could it have been a back feed from the campground venting back through your hose? When possible try to re create the issue and see if you can repeat.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                      X