Black Tank Overflow/Leak During Unattended Back Fill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Tank Overflow/Leak During Unattended Back Fill

2021 Reflection 5W 295RL 150 Series: I connected a hose to a fitting at the dump valve to back fill/flush the black tank and forgot to turn the water off

By the time I turned it off, I had water in the sagging winter lining beneath the frame. I slit the lining, drained the water and ran a Shop-Vac for most of the day to dry it out. Question is - where was the likely overflow leak?

My guess is 1) The Grommet on the tank that feeds the air vent , or 2) where the black tank connects to the toilet. About a half gallon of water was in the toilet but the seal apparently held back most of it until the new leak occurred? When I opened the toilet flush valve there was pressurized air suggesting the water had found a different exit. No water came out the roof vent and there's nothing on the bathroom floor to suggest water backed-up through the tank wash airlock valve behind the shower controls. I will partially refill the black tank and hope keeping it below the toilet-to-tank seal is the solution.

Thoughts on where else the water might have overflowed from?​

Oct 2 update: It was #3 - Black tank valve at the tank. As a gravity feed system, the factory seals the valve joint with a Dicor-like product and hose clamp. But under pressure as a result of me leaving the back flush unattended, it separated (see photo) enough to leak. I separated the winter liner about 2 feet forward of the steps on the starboard side and used a rope fed aft to separate the joint for cleaning. Note that the valve includes about a 3in extension that slides INSIDE and into the black tank opening. After cleaning with Goof Off, I applied Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant and let it sit for a while to travel a bit into the joint. I then reversed the rope forward to the hitch pin and pulled the joint together. Remember to let this sit overnight BEFORE re-tightening the hose clamp or else you'll simply squeeze your "gasket" out of the seam before it sets. (Interesting note: There is only one tank heater on the bottom of each tank, at the drain end.)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Chip Lohman; 10-02-2023, 07:35 PM.

Chip Lohman

Either #1 or #2 is my guess, too, or both. If the tank split and water came out of the tank that way (it's been documented on this forum that it can happen) it's not a fun job replacing that black tank. You'll know if it's a split either by continuous leaks or possibly from foul odors escaping the tank. From the verbiage in the post it doesn't sound like there was a split--hope that's the case.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

When a black tank is overfilled like this, the water climbs the vent stack but reaches the vent connection to one or more grey tanks and then begins to fill these tanks. The outlet of the overfilled grey tanks is usually the shower floor drain, unless you have a duckbill valve there, instead of a standard P trap. The message here is to check the contents and condition of your grey tanks if you have pressure overfilled the black tank.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
      X