Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen water lines

Good Afternoon,

I see that my illusion of being able to stay functional with the furnace running was just that. I left heat on as I was certainly expecting colder weather and my understanding from the Sales and Service group was that this unit was one of the best of the best insulated for such potential issues. I have been away for 3 nights when temps have been freezing to come "home" to no water flow inside the unit. I have confirmed the problem is NOT with the source water as I can get water to spray from the external shower. That same external shower DOES NOT produce hot water.

I am certain that something underneath is frozen.. I don't have skirting or the current ability to skirt my RV.

But, what and where would I place an underbelly heater/lamp to thaw my system? Or do I just wait it out?

Any help is appreciated.

Bruce
    2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL

Your frozen area will be the low point drains, red and blue pipe hanging down below the under belly near the Nautilus panel area. This will have end caps that will hold water. These tend to freeze when not insulated and will freeze up to the "T" where it connects to the main lines, one for the hot line and one for the cold line. You can use a hair dryer or heat gun to get these thawed. Insulate them to keep from freezing in the future.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hi Bruce,

The only thing you can do near term, is run the furnace a lot and perhaps open cabinet doors or lower drawers to provide paths for heat to get into the underbelly. The problem often starts with the low point drains that extend through the underbelly coroplast covering. You could heat these with a hair dryer and if this solves the problem, insulate this area.

The floor of your Imagine is insulated, but the space under the floor, where many of the water lines run, is not insulated.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

UPDATE --- I had the bath and kitchen faucets on for the last 2 or 3 hours and the ice bridge broke down. We are on "drip the faucet" mode now. Take home message: Question everything to the nth degree when being told your unit is "Arctic Insulation - Four Season Protection". I'll eventually tear into the underbelly and insulate every pipe I can find. Happy RV-ing!!!

Have a great 2024!!

Bruce

Comment

From Cate and Rob - " The problem often starts with the low point drains that extend through the underbelly coroplast covering. You could heat these with a hair dryer and if this solves the problem, insulate this area.'

I'll look down the road. I have water "now" so I think I am going to go with "skirting" the central area under bath/kitchen and at a later date I will see what is/isn't directly insulated underneath. Has anyone ever pulled off that underpanel and insulated every pipe available?

Thanks!,

Bruce

Comment

My apologies to Country Camper... I'm not sure how to reply to a particular comment so I am bothering him straight up by some other button I clicked on. I very much appreciate the GREAT information for everyone!!

Comment

Originally posted by Baschraderdds View Post
              UPDATE --- I had the bath and kitchen faucets on for the last 2 or 3 hours and the ice bridge broke down. We are on "drip the faucet" mode now. Take home message: Question everything to the nth degree when being told your unit is "Arctic Insulation - Four Season Protection". I'll eventually tear into the underbelly and insulate every pipe I can find. Happy RV-ing!!!

Have a great 2024!!

Bruce
              FYI. Our owners manual states that the coach is not intended to be used in freezing temperatures.
              Ours has the “arctic insulation-4 season” package as well.
              Rich

Comment

Originally posted by RV2600RB View Post

FYI. Our owners manual states that the coach is not intended to be used in freezing temperatures.
                Rich
                Mis-leading at best is where I am on the idea of 4 seasons/Arctic. I also think that putting a furnace and an electric fire place in a unit contributes to the "illusion". My problem right now is it's a "dry COLD".

Thanks!,

Bruce

Comment

UPDATE --- We are on "drip the faucet" mode now.
                  Be cautious with this plan . . . You would be amazed at how quickly a dripping faucet will fill a holding tank.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rich
                    Well . . . Isn’t that an interesting divergence of information. Could you post a screen shot of that owners manual statement?

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Has anyone ever pulled off that underpanel and insulated every pipe available?

Thanks!,

Bruce
                      Hi Bruce,

It would be rather tedious to try and insulate every individual pipe. Easier to place insulation above the coroplast to insulate the plumbing area. I have done this with rigid foam sheets (as have others on this forum). I also have an electric heater in this underbelly space . . . also documented on this forum. Use the drop down “Advanced” search tool in the upper right corner on related words and my user name to find these threads.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

For now I would consider insulating the low point drains.

Also a dripping faucet as mentioned will fill a holding tank pretty quick. Be careful with leaving the tank valve open as excessively cold can lead to freezing of the sewer drain hose. You may be successful with building an insulated tube from the 3/4" pink foam, framing nails and aluminum ac tape. The framing nails work good as you can normally push them in by hand.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Well . . . Isn’t that an interesting divergence of information. Could you post a screen shot of that owners manual statement?

Rob
                          No problem.

Comment

No problem.
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                            X